Addicts will always find a fix | Page 3 | Vital Football

Addicts will always find a fix

I'm not counting our chickens but if we do up I'd be more confident of us doing well next season than i was when we last went up. I think we've got a better set of players, a better manager, better system and i think the players still here who struggled last time could do better for the previous experience.

We'd obviously need to bring in extra quality in the summer, but I don't think we'd need too many changes and i can see us having a much lower player turnover compared to the 16/17 season. If we retain our key players and recruit smartly there's no reason we can't be positive heading into next season.

We've not always played to our full potential in the league but we've been devestating when we find our stride in games and the cup ties showed on more than one occasion that we have a lot to offer against better opposition. At this level we are the favourites and many of the top sides raised their game and likely had their best performances of the season against us or were lucky to get away with their result. I think if we went up a level we'd be the underdogs again and that may suit us better, as it seemed to really bring the best out of us in the cup games.

Brick .......you ok mate? It"s just that your attempts above at having a pop are so lacklustre, I wonder if you're not feeling yourself.

Chin up son.

yeah mate. im ok. just a bit difficult shouting up to you in that ivory tower youve boght recently. never mind when you come down to pay your milkman you mite heer the laughter.

havin a grate time heer.

Just a thought Brick - type your responses in a word document first and use spell check then cut and paste it - it might help you !

to be honest mate. ive tried loads of stuff to keep it proper. ive even got a colored film over the screen to help me see words better. ive had nite classes and all. im just a lazy bugger. i can see the red lines but most times cant be arrised to change the words.

3 out of 10. i will try a bit harder

I'm not counting our chickens but if we do up I'd be more confident of us doing well next season than i was when we last went up. I think we've got a better set of players, a better manager, better system and i think the players still here who struggled last time could do better for the previous experience.

We'd obviously need to bring in extra quality in the summer, but I don't think we'd need too many changes and i can see us having a much lower player turnover compared to the 16/17 season. If we retain our key players and recruit smartly there's no reason we can't be positive heading into next season.

We've not always played to our full potential in the league but we've been devestating when we find our stride in games and the cup ties showed on more than one occasion that we have a lot to offer against better opposition. At this level we are the favourites and many of the top sides raised their game and likely had their best performances of the season against us or were lucky to get away with their result. I think if we went up a level we'd be the underdogs again and that may suit us better, as it seemed to really bring the best out of us in the cup games.

you make some good points there kdz. not counting chickens that we go up but we shuldnt count are chickens if we do go up. like some are alredy.

we alredy no that them in the champeonship are used to pleying better teems than us and with. shuld i sey. on the hole better grounds and resources. pleyers and manegers.

first we dont no abuot this take over. hopefuly it can only be for the best. lets hope its not abuot striping are assets over time. second we talk abuot improving pleyers. well we need to see what money weve got first then we can start shoping. and theres not one person heer thats seen us fanfare big names onto the teem for them to turn out to be kerap in the big picture. third cook is untried at the next level. hes a good maneger but bl00dy ell hes been a stubborn get during some games when change were ovious and hes not made it hapen. or his teem slecteon is a bit suspect (well acording to some on heer that is) then theres the case of him slecting massey. im not seying he wont crack it but at the moment its still an unknown. oh. he mite even bugger off somewere else.

so yep. i agree with you that we are better placed than last time we went up (which isnt dificult to be honest) but theres still a long slog ahed of us before i see us settling in to the legue and finding are feet. if we dally abuot choping and changing then itl be a rough ride. but my concern is. if cook has not got us sat mid table by game 15 then the new owner (if there is any) will get impatetient and move him on and we then jump on that maneger merry go round and we all no what hapens there.

lastly. its abuot being caught between a rock and a hard thing. if we go up and are classed as underdogs as you sey. you think it suits us as we tend to raise are game. thats grate. if we keep the same teem. but we all no that a lot of pleyers are not up to the next level so we will have at least a third to a half of a new starting 11 (in my opineon). the nucleas will have gone and its start again im afrade,

for me. the best teem in a promoteon year was when we went unchanged (almost) into the prem. that fighting spirit you elude to shocked everybody and we all no were we finished that year. if you start faffing around then its only one way as far as im concerned.

tough deciseons ahead

Caldwell or Cook? The answer to that question provides the answer to the question if we'll fare any better next season in the Championship.

Caldwell or Cook? The answer to that question provides the answer to the question if we'll fare any better next season in the Championship.

its that simple is it

oh. and who seys we will have cook at the start, the middle or the end of the season next time out. he mite go and a 'brown enveloper' mite weedle there way into the club. it could turn out like dougal and the frickin magic roundabout

'Kinell Grip. For someone who's not counting their chickens, you've got us promoted, changed up to half the team and then sacked Cook before the season's half way through.

Must be that coloured film in front of your eyes ........... (obviously not rose tinted).

'Kinell Grip. For someone who's not counting their chickens, you've got us promoted, changed up to half the team and then sacked Cook before the season's half way through.

Must be that coloured film in front of your eyes ........... (obviously not rose tinted).

think youve got me confused with somebody else pal.

that was poor. even by your new low standards. very poor indeed.

Some good points there Brick, what i would say about any potential new owners is you wouldn't be buying Wigan to asset strip as we are not an asset rich club. So i think the new owners will have the best intentnions at least to start with and i can imagine there would be some initial investment, but it's anyones guess how much it could be.

I'd suspect it's more likely we would be looking at a gradual building process rather than a crazy spending spree but the likes of Huddersfield and Cardiff have shown if you have a good manager and are clever with recruitment you can out perform teams with drastically higher budgets.

I always rated Cook highly long before he came here and while we can pick out some faults from his time here - overall I've been really impressed with him this season and have high hopes for him taking the potential step up. My biggest fear above all else for next season, regardless of what division we are in, would be losing him.

Some good points there Brick, what i would say about any potential new owners is you wouldn't be buying Wigan to asset strip as we are not an asset rich club. So i think the new owners will have the best intentnions at least to start with and i can imagine there would be some initial investment, but it's anyones guess how much it could be.

I'd suspect it's more likely we would be looking at a gradual building process rather than a crazy spending spree but the likes of Huddersfield and Cardiff have shown if you have a good manager and are clever with recruitment you can out perform teams with drastically higher budgets.

I always rated Cook highly long before he came here and while we can pick out some faults from his time here - overall I've been really impressed with him this season and have high hopes for him taking the potential step up. My biggest fear above all else for next season, regardless of what division we are in, would be losing him.

corect kdz

i think maybe i over thoght any new owners trying to asset strip us. but theres been other owners whove tried to sell land to developers. but i think your rite on this.

slow and stedy is the corect way ahead an all i think. any rush to buy a 'big name' pleyer just for the sake of it will be a disaster. weve seen them come and go and weve lost milleons over the years on bad deciseons. we need pleyers who want to come and pley there tripe out for us. works for us and a future sell on. thats alweys a hard one to do tho.

as for cook. two weys of looking at this. if people beleve he is the man for the job then the new owners need to make an offer he cant refuse. if people think he cant make the jump up to the next level then a hard deciseon to move him on needs to be made early doors so we have consistency thru the season. this is a reel togh one. for me. im for keeping him. backing him with money. and letting him have a big sey in who comes and goes. hes got the kahunas to make them deciseons. but then its not up to us is it.

I don't think Cook is going anywhere. When do PL teams come knocking on doors for League 1 managers? Rarely if ever. Steve Cotterill, Chris Wilder, Gary Caldwell, Kenny Jackett, Dean Saunders/Brian Flynn are the last managers to win that title, with only Wilder arguably yet to have a brighter future ahead.

Sure he could move to a bigger Championship club but I just don't see it. The bigger sides in the Championship who can't get out is generally because of their unstability behind the scenes - Brum, Leeds, Forest. Would be one hell of an ego to throw away a tight and committed squad for one of those shambles.

Think Burnley will be after him as their Dyche replacement if he’s a success in the Championship. sevendaughters I think you’re sadly mistaken regarding Cook. I have no doubt that he’d back himself to turn one of those big clubs around if they approached him. You forget that he left Chesterfield to drop down a league for a bigger club. He then left them to join us, despite us being in a complete mess and in the same league so basically the exact description of one of those clubs you say he wouldn’t join. It’s all about resources. If we don’t give him the financial backing he wants and a club like Leeds or Brum come along throwing money and transfer/wage kitties at him, I don’t think he’ll turn it down. As for the Championship it’s going to be unforgiving. Southampton was a warning, they were garbage and we dominated but we couldn’t score and got punished. They’ll be plenty more of that next season if we don’t take our chances.

he's made smart moves rather than nakedly ambitious moves. Portsmouth are a bigger team than we are but they're a shambles, still scarred from their days of living too large. I'm not saying he would never go, but I just don't see a move that makes sense. Like I said, League 1 winning managers do not have a history of leaping to top 8 PL clubs. The smarter money is on, if Dyche left, a hipster-choice foreign replacement like a Marco Silva.

Have to disagree. Cook won the league with Pompey, a fan owned club (at the time) with a average age squad in the low to mid 20s. We were able to offer him better facilities, more money for him his staff and his squad plus a move up north. A very smart move on his part. A far better comparison to our situation is that of Chesterfield. He left them after taking them as far as he felt he could with the resources given to him by their execs. They started selling his best players and he knew he wouldn’t get them to the Championship. Make no mistake if David Sharpe starts selling his best players and doesn’t give Cook the financial support he feels we need in order to go for promotion then make no mistake he’ll find a bigger club that will and back himself to get them up. He’s not some young upcoming manager, he’s 51 years old and not getting any younger. He’s ambitious and who can blame him. It’s up to Sharpe/Whelan really. Will they accept a big financial loss and back him to take us to the Prem? Or will they bottle it, cut costs and watch our squad be gutted by vultures, Cook to leave for a bigger/richer club and for us to slide back to L1 within two seasons. Look at Barnsley over the past two seasons, they were around the playoffs 16 months ago. The Championship is an unforgiving beast. Alternatively look at how far Chesterfield have fallen since Cook left them? From L1 playoffs to Non League within three seasons. Terrifying!

......... As for the Championship it’s going to be unforgiving. Southampton was a warning, .............

I love C_Latic how you selectively dismiss those other 3 games against Premier League opposition and instead choose to use the game we lost as the barometer for how we might fare next season.

I suppose effectively, much like Moody earlier in the thread, you merely illustrate the truth of the thread title. If there's a half empty view to be found, you can be assured that a Tics fan will find it.

Bring it on.

to be honest mate. ive tried loads of stuff to keep it proper. ive even got a colored film over the screen to help me see words better. ive had nite classes and all. im just a lazy bugger. i can see the red lines but most times cant be arrised to change the words.

3 out of 10. i will try a bit harder
Hi Brick - Apologies i really didn't realise you had genuine problems with spelling it was just an idea - keep posting pal !

I love C_Latic how you selectively dismiss those other 3 games against Premier League opposition and instead choose to use the game we lost as the barometer for how we might fare next season.

I suppose effectively, much like Moody earlier in the thread, you merely illustrate the truth of the thread title. If there's a half empty view to be found, you can be assured that a Tics fan will find it.

Bring it on.
Southampton is the correct barometer as they fielded their strongest team available and will be playing us in the same league next season. We’re the only team they’ve managed to beat in god knows how long. Bournemouth and West Ham both played reserve teams. City was a freak one off game. If I have a half empty view it comes from watching us get our arses handed to us week in week out in the last two years in the Championship. Fourty six home games, seven wins! Although a happy clapper like you will always find an excuse for it.

Forty six home games !!!!!! Kinell, that was good value for the price of the season ticket!

I'm not sure why you think you have to label me a happy clapper C_Latic ............ just because I don't feel the need to start off thinking and expecting the worst for next season.

I've said before, I always wonder if those who choose to focus on the negative do so in order that they can (eventually) be proven to be right. Every team - and yes, I mean every - will hit a rocky patch, or perform poorly sooner or later. Presumably, those who predict this in advance get a warm feeling through (as Brick might say) "stating the bleeding ovious".

Maybe that's why the atmosphere can often be poor in the stadium ..... too many fans expecting and waiting for the team to fail ........ just like they always knew they would.