Addicts will always find a fix | Page 2 | Vital Football

Addicts will always find a fix

"Better than" is normally used as a comparator. If that were the case here it would be misleading. We've already beaten higher placed teams in the Cup

Any road Moody ......any more thoughts about this home & away form?

The crowd plays a huge part ... everyone knows it including the players.
I wonder if there are enough vocal supporters to form another area in another part of the ground.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22110898
https://www.scienceabc.com/sports/acoustics-stadium-designed-soccer-noise-maximum.html

This is a great point, just recently we have seen the advantages of crowds giving their side extra motivation/energy. Vs Rochdale away for me was the best atmosphere from us this season, alternatively vs Portsmouth their crowd helped them throughout. From ref decisions to their ability to press. The extra energy/motivation during a game can't be underestimated. Our issue at home is the space between our fans inside the stadium, it sounds like the inside of a swimming pool at times.

Your point about getting people together in a certain area of the stadium would significantly improve the atmosphere. But that would that would require for someone to go above and beyond to plan. Or for the club to get involved, tbh they haven't done anything to improve the atmosphere so i can't see anything changing there.

Your point about getting people together in a certain area of the stadium would significantly improve the atmosphere. But that would that would require for someone to go above and beyond to plan. Or for the club to get involved, tbh they haven't done anything to improve the atmosphere so i can't see anything changing there.

I do know that club personnel are always looking at things.
For example back in 2015/2016 there was a discounted season card in the East Stand (ES2/3). This was to encourage the singing section. The price was 250 quid and less than other areas.
There are a number of Fan advisory boards which have to take place (League rules) ... one took place fairly recently. It used to be advertised and open to all to apply (Appears to be a closed shop now though). Supporters are asked for their ideas and opinions.Maybe one day someone will come up with an simple (cheap) idea that noone has thought of (to help with the atmosphere).

I do recall James Maclean trying to get the crowd into the game during those awful Malky Mackay games at the DW. I wonder whether one of the more popular players might have a go in the final few games as well.
James Vaughan gestures to the crowd at away matches and that works.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Olfe, most of the above i did not know.

Perhaps we should all be shouting on Tuesday night that Wigan Athletic beat the Premier League champions with a Will Grigg goal ?
Wahayyyyy :toot:

You can find genuine faults in anything in life, nothing will ever be perfect. You can look back and find plenty of flaws with us this season but all things considered we've had a lot more positives than negatives, so i think it's best to try not to get hung up of the imperfections when there's been plenty to be happy about.

We've not had too much to shout about in recent years and we might not have a season as good as this again (you never know what the future holds) so let's just hope we finish the job and make the most of it.

So confirmed we have beaten the PL champions as a league 1 club this year. Probably the best club side in a single season this country has seen. Congratulations to them, as a fan of football I say it's richly deserved as they are brilliant to watch. As such it's puts our achievement in beating as remarkable.

I agree about trying to improve the atmosphere, I suggested a few ideas a few months back but someone had a paddy about it in case they got their hair wet. Bottom line, our ground is too big for us and I'm certain it affects the players and boosts the away team if they bring a large following. Along with sorting a loyalty scheme, improving the atmosphere should be on the to do list of the new owners.

Maybe they could play applause - plus appropriate oohs and aahs - through the PA.

Alternatively, play a boo/hiss/feck off you * bastards whenever the opposition have the ball

(* insert name of team, county or geographical region as appropriate)

Every little helps.

Ive read somewhere that we have only beaten one team in the top ten at home.
Well read this... The lowest placed team to take anything at all off us is16th placed Gillingham. We have taken 42 points from the bottom 8 so far, and the remaining two have been beaten by an aggregate of 11-0 on their own patches. No one in the promotion mix comes close to that. Try focusing on these kind of things!
Now come get a grip, stop proving Moonay right.

Well read this... The lowest placed team to take anything at all off us is16th placed Gillingham. We have taken 42 points from the bottom 8 so far, and the remaining two have been beaten by an aggregate of 11-0 on their own patches. No one in the promotion mix comes close to that. Try focusing on these kind of things!

Only on this site could you read something like that. Unbelievable.

Moody Blue said:
Ive read somewhere that we have only beaten one team in the top ten at home.

so. have we or not.

Just imagine (Moody?) if we had have won all those home games like you suggest ........ .and we'd already have the title sewn up. We'd already be on 100+ points. That just doesn't happen. Our away form has been excellent. Why not ficus on that instead?

why not ficus on are home form. whats the prob with talking abuot it. its rubish. are you seying we cant talk abuot it then.

Whoever you beat is irrelevant. It's the total points you've gained throughout the entire campaign that wins you the title .Not beating the team(s) who finish just below you.

its the total points you win over the entire campane. no shetit sherlock. ive herd captane alfonso has been on heer. now ive met his mate, captane bleedin ovious.

oh and whoever you beat is irelevent. have you lost your marbles. beeting a close rival to the top spot does a lot for your confedence and does a lot to undermine theres. this footbal milarky is not just what hapens on the pitch. its about the big picture.

Also, I doubt if there's many who would see automatic promotion in 2nd as a failure. I fully agree that there may be some slight disappointment, but "a failure"?!

if you tell everyone. ala grigg in one intervewe recently that the teems focus is on winning the league. then coming second is a falure. coming second in anything shuold be considered failing. play to win not to come second.

Sorry pal, but your post just goes to illustrate my point. I suggest you need to get a grip on how a league works.

oh dear. give me strenth.

Brick .......you ok mate? It"s just that your attempts above at having a pop are so lacklustre, I wonder if you're not feeling yourself.

Chin up son.

Last edited:
Brick, I predicted a tough game and that I expected to win it.
I was wrong about the result, but not about it being tough.

What's your problem with that? You've exposed yourself as being an ally of grip given that this most unusual attack on a poster from your good self came soon after my PM to the loon. What happened to your free speech and everyone is entitled blah blah blah?

Just a thought Brick - type your responses in a word document first and use spell check then cut and paste it - it might help you !

On current strength I would back Wigan to beat most of the bottom 8 of the division above. Surely this suggests that with sensible additions and general stability (ie. keep Cook, fitness for all, re-sign good players, takeover doesn't become a Birmingham or Leeds type affair) we will be fine.

As RTPhil said, we're the best side in a mini-league of the current top 6. We've got one of the best defences in the top four divisions if you go by clean sheets and the second best goal difference in the top four divisions behind the free-scoring Man City. Four of our players were in League One team of the the year. That some of you are still moaning is beyond belief.

At the end of a 46 game league campaign it probably doesn't matter where or how you achieve the results as long as you achieve your objective. However given we sit top with a few games left our home form against the top ten is an interesting anomaly and probably worthy of debate. Given pompeys home form last year, using a similar criteria, it is probably more a pattern than an anomaly.

Yeah it doesn't matter - but it's a rebuttal to those who are mithering that we've only knocked over soupcans near the bottom of the table. It's untrue. Nearly whichever way you slice it Wigan have been the best side (so far) and done it with rich amounts of attacking flair and defensive nous.