Actual v published attendance figures | Vital Football

Actual v published attendance figures

Interesting article on BBC website regarding attendance figures.

Its something I guess all of us have suspected for a while.

Clubs aren't required to publish the actual amount of people in attendance. They can and it seems lots do publish ticket sales and this includes, season tickets and corporate tickets which are not used.

Not sure what we or any of the other local clubs do but basically what you see isn't always what you get.

I’ve never suspected it I’ve known it every club publishes tickets bought not who walks through the gate it’s something to do with taxes they have to pay I believe

If the ticket has been paid for, then it simplifies the recognition of revenue, which keeps HMRC happy.

Apart from oinker fans, does anyone really care.?

So maybe next time Gary Sinclair should announce "Today's official ticket sales are....." instead of the usual "Today's official attendance is....."
Realistically though, how many people buy a ticket and then don't go to the match?
Obviously there will be some, there's always going to be an unfortunate last minute drama or family crisis that prevents a few from attending the game, but in the bigger picture, the number of tickets sold and the number of people actually attending can't be that far apart can they?
I'd estimate no more than a couple of hundred or less??
Anyone convince me otherwise?

It’s usually season ticket holders I think we can miss 6 or 7 matches and still break even I believe,many like me have to book holidays a yr in advance and hope that they fall on away games if not it’s tough

So maybe next time Gary Sinclair should announce "Today's official ticket sales are....." instead of the usual "Today's official attendance is....."
Realistically though, how many people buy a ticket and then don't go to the match?
Obviously there will be some, there's always going to be an unfortunate last minute drama or family crisis that prevents a few from attending the game, but in the bigger picture, the number of tickets sold and the number of people actually attending can't be that far apart can they?
I'd estimate no more than a couple of hundred or less??
Anyone convince me otherwise?
Could get quite a few on holiday August early September after that I’d say they wouldn’t be far apart