Active or passive | Vital Football

Active or passive

Walthamstow wanderer

Alert Team
Staff member
Interesting debate going on , on a thread that has gone “ off topic “.
so , are you an Active Supporter , or a Passive Supporter .
Personally I dont understand it . I am a spurs supporter no matter what . I want us to win every game .I need us to win every game , I beg the players to make us win every game . ...... I get the hump when we don’t .
So , as I don’t understand the active or passive aspect of supporting our club , I am willing to be educated .

Personally I dont understand it . I am a spurs supporter no matter what . I want us to win every game .I need us to win every game , I beg the players to make us win every game . ...... I get the hump when we don’t .
So , as I don’t understand the active or passive aspect of supporting our club , I am willing to be educated .

Sorry Walt I responded to this on the other thread . Perhaps a mod can switch it across. Even if you watch games on tv it's mostly pay to view of which the club gets a percentage so its active support although a little tenuous. The key to this is the definition of the word support which you might like to look up.

Morning Walt, very good, I believe as you said we are one that is a Spurs supporter, who all think and believe exactly as you have said, want/need/beg to win, get the hump at losing, maybe even tears.

So as yourself I don't understand the Passive or Active meaning for being a fan.

Nick...the definition of support where does that take us, tables, chairs, roofs etc all have supports, I think I will shut up here lol!

Interesting conversation. I have a mate who calls me a Spurs fan and an England supporter. That's because I don't really get to WHL much, but do spend some time watching England home and away. His definition is that you have to go to games to be a supporter and he is a Millwall season ticket holder. Fans watch football on TV. It's total BS of course when you look at dictionary definitions, but I get where he's coming at it from.

What I would say is that I am an unconditional fan / supporter of Spurs but can't say the same thing anymore about the game of football itself.

As for passive or active, I'm not sure how that applies. I'd happily be educated though.

We are all active. Otherwise, we wouldn't spend sp much time talking about Spurs.

Interesting conversation. I have a mate who calls me a Spurs fan and an England supporter. That's because I don't really get to WHL much, but do spend some time watching England home and away. His definition is that you have to go to games to be a supporter and he is a Millwall season ticket holder. Fans watch football on TV. It's total BS of course when you look at dictionary definitions, but I get where he's coming at it from.

What I would say is that I am an unconditional fan / supporter of Spurs but can't say the same thing anymore about the game of football itself.

As for passive or active, I'm not sure how that applies. I'd happily be educated though.

Ask Ioan !!

I refuse to go to any Spurs games these days. When Levy stole nearly 100 loyalty points from me 4 years back through sheer greed that was the end for me. No way back after that.

I will always support spurs and watch games on TV though. But I don't have Sky or BT these days because I refuse to give the players my money from my home.

I will occasionally go to the pub and have some beers in the bigger games though.

I refuse to go to any Spurs games these days. When Levy stole nearly 100 loyalty points from me 4 years back through sheer greed that was the end for me. No way back after that.

I will always support spurs and watch games on TV though. But I don't have Sky or BT these days because I refuse to give the players my money from my home.

I will occasionally go to the pub and have some beers in the bigger games though.
No matter your thought/ideals, your still a fan mate, simple as that.

Sorry I didn't see the new thread!

So I post my answer to NRD again here.

Yes what you mention in your post are part of what active support means to your club.

Support for the club means also to concern about the owners of the club and their intentions and priorities after they have run the club for twenty years!!
Twenty years is a very long time for a big and popular club like Spurs not to achieve glory on the field except an English League cup!

In such a case there is also active and passive support to the club.
Passive support means that you accept without protesting that Spurs have not won a title or a major trophy all that period only because their owners have proved that they don't have as their priority to strengthen the squad at the right moment with appropriate players in order to win silverware.

Active support means to join your voice and participate in other efforts to push out of the Spurs that kind of owners in order to give the club the opportunity and the possibility to get new owners who are ambitious with winning titles and trophies on the field and they have the financial and managerial capacity and ability to achieve that.
It is exactly what happens with every other big and popular football club that wins titles and trophies!

Also to join your voice with those supporters who don't want Spurs to be in the shadow of other similar clubs like Arse, Chelsea, Manchester City concerning major domestic and international successes on the field only because of their owners.

I believe Spurs deserve better owners!

Yes what you mention in your post are part of what active support means to your club.

Support for the club means also to concern about the owners of the club and their intentions and priorities after they have run the club for twenty years!!
Twenty years is a very long time for a big and popular club like Spurs not to achieve glory on the field except an English League cup!

Passive support means that you accept without protesting that Spurs have not won a title or a major trophy all that period only because their owners have proved that they don't have as their priority to strengthen the squad at the right moment with appropriate players in order to win silverware.

Active support means to join your voice and participate in other efforts to push out of the Spurs that kind of owners in order to give the club the opportunity and the possibility to get new owners who are ambitious with winning titles and trophies on the field and they have the financial and managerial capacity and ability to achieve that.
It is exactly what happens with every other big and popular football club that wins titles and trophies!

Also to join your voice with those supporters who don't want Spurs to be in the shadow of other similar clubs like Arse, Chelsea, Manchester City concerning major domestic and international successes on the field only because of their owners.

What other efforts are you participating in as an active supporter to achieve change ?

I have repeatedly protested on here and expressed my frustration against Levy and different managers and players. I have been to games, bought merch and pay tv subscriptions to watch Spurs. So am I active or passive.
I did question the assertion that Spurs have not won a trophy in 20 years though because it was inaccurate. Spurs also very nearly won the CL which is a measure of the success of the club.

I would imagine there are many fans who fulfil all the criteria of actively supporting the club but who also, to a greater or lesser degree, think Levy and co. are good owners of the club. I can't see any logical basis for the active/passive binary.

I would imagine there are many fans who fulfil all the criteria of actively supporting the club but who also, to a greater or lesser degree, think Levy and co. are good owners of the club. I can't see any logical basis for the active/passive binary.

Ioan is binary because no matter how anyone trys, he infects and corrupts any and all threads with his single and only point of view; this obsessive and compulsive behaviour singles him out to bring about these bizarre discussions.

I make no distinction between Spurs supporters or Spurs fans or whether they spend to enjoy their obsession or whether they don't, I love football at all levels and obviously have a deep feeling and passion as well as an almost spiritual connection to Spurs in particular, so really do think the 'debate' is moot., if not pointless.

I put this debate on an open thread because I wanted to gain a wider audience for it rather than being buried within another thread ., I couldn’t agree with your thoughts then and certainly don’t now
Sorry mate , I still don’t get what you expect to achieve from your points . Unless of course you are on a wind up .
If I didn’t like the owners of our local corner shop , I wouldn’t think any amount of protest would force them to sell up , just because I, and a few other people didn’t think they were ambitious enough ! .
If you think Daniel Levy isn’t ambitious enough after all he has done for tottenham then I am at a loss for words . It may be TWELVE years since we won a trophy , but if you think he has deliberately engineered that due to a lack of wanting the best for our club then I am staggered. .

Ioan is binary because no matter how anyone trys, he infects and corrupts any and all threads with his single and only point of view; this obsessive and compulsive behaviour singles him out to bring about these bizarre discussions.

I make no distinction between Spurs supporters or Spurs fans or whether they spend to enjoy their obsession or whether they don't, I love football at all levels and obviously have a deep feeling and passion as well as an almost spiritual connection to Spurs in particular, so really do think the 'debate' is moot., if not pointless.

Yes, I really have an obsession and a strong desire Spurs to win a title or a major trophy.
The same strong desire Spurs to win a title or a major trophy share also many Spurs fans especially outside this small group of supporters in this forum.
I know that this obsession and desire of mine with Spurs to achieve glory on the field is disturbing you but I can't help you.

Also I am against any Spurs owner who doesn't have as his priority to win glory on the field with the club in the shortest possible time.
Otherwise I believe that such an owner shouldn't be busy with Spurs and to hold the club and its supporters hostage for decades to plans that they have as priority making profit from it and increasing its selling value without Spurs to win during all that long period domestic and international titles and major trophies.
Because that kind of an owner blocks as well the access to Spurs of other persons who would be more ambitious than him with winning glory with the club.

I believe that Spurs are a big and popular London club and like all other similar clubs should be always competing for titles and trophies.
According to my opinion and experience with football, the only factor Spurs are missing in order to achieve that target is to have owners who fulfill the two necessary conditions: they are rich and ambitious with winning glory on the field with the club they own (see the cases of similar with Spurs football clubs).

Ambition with a football club that participates in a competition it doesn't mean to have only feelings with that club or to be satisfied only with the participation of that club in the competition, but it means to have a strong desire and determination to achieve success and win that specific competition.

As we know, in life there are ambitious supporters/persons and not ambitious.

The club had some chances to win silverware during the last few years but ENIC refused to strengthen the squad at critical moments and when it was obvious that it was necessary.

Daniel Levy and ENIC never said that they bought Spurs in order to win titles and trophies.
If you like such owners for Spurs it is your own right but it also means that you are not ambitious with the club winning titles and trophies (see in dictionary the meaning of ambitious).
Have a look in the dictionary for the meaning of “realistic “
Do not put me in a category . You know nothing about me .
Tell me the last time Tottenham had a world class Stadium , a world class training facility ,regularly played in the Champions league ,
and reached the final .
but if you want them to buy titles , with money that doesn’t belong to them , then that is your right

Easy lads....no need to go down this rabbit hole...again and again....

BL - We love our team. How we define that love doesn't matter. Move on

Yes, I really have an obsession and a strong desire Spurs to win a title or a major trophy.
The same strong desire Spurs to win a title or a major trophy share also many Spurs fans especially outside this small group of supporters in this forum.
I know that this obsession and desire of mine with Spurs to achieve glory on the field is disturbing you but I can't help you.

Also I am against any Spurs owner who doesn't have as his priority to win glory on the field with the club in the shortest possible time.
Otherwise I believe that such an owner shouldn't be busy with Spurs and to hold the club and its supporters hostage for decades to plans that they have as priority making profit from it and increasing its selling value without Spurs to win during all that long period domestic and international titles and major trophies.
Because that kind of an owner blocks as well the access to Spurs of other persons who would be more ambitious than him with winning glory with the club.

I believe that Spurs are a big and popular London club and like all other similar clubs should be always competing for titles and trophies.
According to my opinion and experience with football, the only factor Spurs are missing in order to achieve that target is to have owners who fulfill the two necessary conditions: they are rich and ambitious with winning glory on the field with the club they own (see the cases of similar with Spurs football clubs).

Ambition with a football club that participates in a competition it doesn't mean to have only feelings with that club or to be satisfied only with the participation of that club in the competition, but it means to have a strong desire and determination to achieve success and win that specific competition.

As we know, in life there are ambitious supporters/persons and not ambitious.

To set your mind at rest, nothing you do 'disturbs me', but your obsessive compulsive disorder to ruin every thread by repeatedly repeating the same POV again and again ad nausea.

There isn't a poster here that doesn't know the problem you have with them and it is simply tiresome and ruins the place - I swear you'd do better to get some counseling for it than just keep ruining everyone else's pleasure and ability to debate a subject without it being ruined needlessly.

So do me and anyone else that agrees with me, give it a rest and please try and control yourself. Many thanks.

To set your mind at rest, nothing you do 'disturbs me', but your obsessive compulsive disorder to ruin every thread by repeatedly repeating the same POV again and again ad nausea.

There isn't a poster here that doesn't know the problem you have with them and it is simply tiresome and ruins the place - I swear you'd do better to get some counseling for it than just keep ruining everyone else's pleasure and ability to debate a subject without it being ruined needlessly.

So do me and anyone else that agrees with me, give it a rest and please try and control yourself. Many thanks.
Ha ha ha. so true, and I have only been on here a short time.