Accrington | Page 8 | Vital Football

Accrington

Good lad?! That’s cheered me up more than the win. I’m 45 years old.......

Tuesday is a conundrum. For the past 4/5 years I’ve enjoyed watching Tuesday night games on the sofa, in front of the fire, with a glass of red via ifollow. I’m not one of these newbies you know.

Herr, 58, what are you two doing?

Given my horrendous record, I'll stick to just the commentary...

What an improvement that was in terms of results and performance from their last three pathetic games, plus we got a bit of luck that had deserted us since Christmas.

I must say that the two new lads (not that Lee is new to us). We really had much more going through the midfield defensively and going forward today. I also have to credit three players who I and many others have criticised recently - Jackson, Bonham and Macdonald, who I all thought were much much better.

We were well on top in the first hald and could easily have scored before we did with Accrington creating little threat. We also played the better football in the first half which is not something we can say often this season. The second half was more of a battle, but we deservedly hung on. Accrington had one great chance with their huge full back hitting the post from a free header from close range when he should have buried it (we know how you feel mate as have probablt missed 4-5 like that in the past three games!) Other than that they created little and we looked just as dangerous on the break.

It belies sense that we've gone away, played well and deservedly beaten a good, tidy footballing but very physical Accrington side, yet lost to three abysmal sides in Burton, Plymouth and Northampton. Thankfully, we're playing a good side on Tuesday, so hopefully may do well!

Great win 👍

But the big question remains. Who’s the Jonah?

Now that G58 is in the clear (well done btw, motm performance), it’s down to Herr or Rob as to who is responsible for our losses.

Herr, good man for promising to stay away on Tuesday.

Rob, you utter selfish tit. If you watch on Tuesday and we lose, I’ll beak all the Covid protocols, fly over there and shake your hand. Vigorously, without testing and before I’ve ended quarantine too.

So be careful....

Didn't watch but after seeing the lineup it seems we had the defence most people have been crying out for since the beginning of the season. Jackson-tucker-ogilvie-oconnor. Fair to say it was effective as we kept a clean sheet? Maybe Steve will settle with that back 5 now instead of chopping and changing.

Didn't watch but after seeing the lineup it seems we had the defence most people have been crying out for since the beginning of the season. Jackson-tucker-ogilvie-oconnor. Fair to say it was effective as we kept a clean sheet? Maybe Steve will settle with that back 5 now instead of chopping and changing.

But didn’t SE say the other day we are in talks with 2x Champ players? One striker and one CB?
Or did I misread all that?

Great win 👍

Now that G58 is in the clear (well done btw, motm performance), it’s down to Herr or Rob as to who is responsible for our losses.

Rob, you utter selfish tit. If you watch on Tuesday and we lose, I’ll beak all the Covid protocols, fly over there and shake your hand. Vigorously, without testing and before I’ve ended quarantine too.

So be careful....
It’ll be great to see you OSK, put a face to the name and all that. I’ll shout you a pint at my local, oh wait, it’s shut isn’t it.

Worth pointing out I did guess the correct score in the prediction league. Was torn between Dempsey and Ogilvie as scorer. Shame I chose Conor but moved up to 4th anyway.

That’s gotta count for something, hey?

He said we are close to signing a Championship defender, but not a striker currently

Necessary as if Medley is going back to Arsenal, the only defenders we have other than the four that played yesterday are Maghoma and McKenzie, so we would be a bit thin when the window closes if we get the inevitable injuries and suspensions.

Just watched the highlights on Quest. They referred to Bonham as being a Brentford loanee. :slap:

Great win 👍

So be careful....
It's certainly a whale of a question as to who is the Jonah - a real tusk to decide amid all the blubber being talked

Perspectives are everything - read the Stanley fans site and we were aggressive bully’s who elbowed their best player out of the game. The ref was the reason they lost and it was a clear penalty at the end. A token couple of posts saying we were the better side.

Always the way, TNLIB. We see it differently; I saw our performance as a truly combative style. IMO that`s not the same as a bully-boy physical. Our style was hard but it was also played in the right way and was effective in a genuine footballing sense. I loved the combat factor from our midfield, best display from a GFC midfield I`ve seen in a long time.

Always the way, TNLIB. We see it differently; I saw our performance as a truly combative style. IMO that`s not the same as a bully-boy physical. Our style was hard but it was also played in the right way and was effective in a genuine footballing sense. I loved the combat factor from our midfield, best display from a GFC midfield I`ve seen in a long time.
I suppose it is a step up from a pub team which is all too readily thrown in our direction. Our choice of manager will put us at the bottom of the popularity stakes for most teams and cloud any semblance of impartiality. The fact that a large portion would take him as their own is besides the point.

I read a lot of L1 forums before and after we play their teams (maybe not after if we get a drubbing) and this forum is about as evenhanded as you get. Slate us if we are poor and praise if we play well (as yesterday). I also think we acknowledge good teams and opposition players regardless.

The thing that has always struck me about Gills fans on here is we're just grateful when we win. There's no "we're amazing we should win every week", just happiness (and relief).

Likewise when we won the league we never got billy big bollocks about it.