Accrington v LATICS | Page 9 | Vital Football

Accrington v LATICS

Just seen the highlights and that first Wyke goal was a superb finish. Give him service and he will score!

On a side note from the highlights, I hope Wyke knocked some teeth out of that ****’s mouth who invaded the pitch, slipped on his arse and got kneed in the face by him. Twats like him could easily pass Covid onto the players doing shite like that.

You understand people get excited but as a fan you have no excuse or right to go on the pitch and physically interact with the players. We've seen a few of our fans do it over the years to try and make themselves part of the show and so far because generally it's not resulted in anything serious people feel it's ok to keep doing. The players kind of go with it as they are celebrating themselves and I think there is a bit of a mistaken assumption or excuse that the players like it.

But at some point there is going to be an injury or altercation and it will be a shit show that needn't of ever happened.

I am less worried about Covid although it is a possibility and more worried that someone could accidentally injure one of our players or start a scuffle with one of ours or opposition players.

The club and players themselves won't want fans jumping the hoardings and grabbing or jumping on them - let alone stewards, police, opposition players, EFL etc. So if we consider ourselves proper fans we should be showing our players enough respect to let them bask in their moment of glory rather than selfishly trying to grab a little piece of it by trying to get ourselves involved.

I'm not sure if the fan was arrested, ejected or just ran back to his seat without consequence but I think sooner or later one of these pitch invasions going to end in tears.

You understand people get excited but as a fan you have no excuse or right to go on the pitch and physically interact with the players. We've seen a few of our fans do it over the years to try and make themselves part of the show and so far because generally it's not resulted in anything serious people feel it's ok to keep doing. The players kind of go with it as they are celebrating themselves and I think there is a bit of a mistaken assumption or excuse that the players like it.

But at some point there is going to be an injury or altercation and it will be a shit show that needn't of ever happened.

I am less worried about Covid although it is a possibility and more worried that someone could accidentally injure one of our players or start a scuffle with one of ours or opposition players.

The club and players themselves won't want fans jumping the hoardings and grabbing or jumping on them - let alone stewards, police, opposition players, EFL etc. So if we consider ourselves proper fans we should be showing our players enough respect to let them bask in their moment of glory rather than selfishly trying to grab a little piece of it by trying to get ourselves involved.

I'm not sure if the fan was arrested, ejected or just ran back to his seat without consequence but I think sooner or later one of these pitch invasions going to end in tears.
It's a guaranteed 3 year ban from all matches if the person is caught, which I suspect he will, as there's enough photographic evidence to ID him.

Just watched the extended highlights and am pretty sure he is the guy at the end who waves over to Max who comes over and seems to know him.

Maybe he is well known to the players but doesn't excuse him trying to hobble Wyke.

Last edited:
I didn't go to the game but based on the extended highlights (which isn't always the best way to judge, as they only show the promising attacks) it seems clear that the plan was to enable Darikwa and (especially) Power to join the attacks. I commented after the Doncaster game that things often broke down either with Keane playing it back and losing momentum, or Lang cutting in and not playing one more pass to an oncoming fullback. I'm glad this fix has come as Power has a fantastic delivery and Wyke benefitted from that. Their goal seemed just one of those unlucky balls that dropped in the right place and it was an excellent finish, It's brilliant how we don't panic and respond almost immediately. So much promise in this squad, I just worry that we could have some disgruntled players who want more minutes. A decent run in the cups will help share things around and it'll be a long and tough season and so everyone is going to be called upon and will have to take their chance, and likewise not rest on their laurels if they currently have the shirt as we have two or quality three options throughout the team now.

Last edited:
I didn't go to the game but based on the extended highlights (which isn't always the best way to judge, as they only show the promising attacks) it seems clear that the plan was to enable Darikwa and (especially) Power to join the attacks. I commented after the Doncaster game that things often broke down either with Keane playing it back and losing momentum, or Lang cutting in and not playing one more pass to an oncoming fullback. I'm glad this fix has come as Power has a fantastic delivery and Wyke benefitted from that. Their goal seemed just one of those unlucky balls that dropped in the right place and it was an excellent finish, It's brilliant how we don't panic and respond almost immediately. So much promise in this squad, I just worry that we could have some disgruntled players who want more minutes. A decent run in the cups will help share things around and it'll be a long and tough season and so everyone is going to be called upon and will have to take their chance, and likewise not rest on their laurels if they currently have the shirt as we have two or quality three options throughout the team now.

Managing the dressing room and getting the squad players to not become disgruntled is a big part of the managers job. So far it seems like there is a genuine good feeling in the camp and togetherness. If you look at the team nearly everyone is hungry to get to the Championship for either the first time or having a point to prove - the objective of promotion is very uniting.

I'm sure everyone wants to be starting but if the lads on the pitch are playing well and getting results it's hard for anyone to really moan about not getting in the starting 11. But you want them to have the drive and mentality that wants to play and create fierce competition for places so I don't think them not being happy on the bench is necessarily bad as long as it's channelled and managed correctly.

It'll be a long hard season, I'm sure everyone will get their chance when the inevitable injuries and suspensions come. But some will have to make the most of cup games and cameos as subs to try and push their way in when the starting 11 are doing so well.

With such a strong squad I think the shocking Wolves game probably cost some of those players places on the bench and sub appearances they may have had if they did well. So Sunderland tomorrow is the squad players chance to raise their stock and get back to the forefront of Richardson's thinking.

Managing the dressing room and getting the squad players to not become disgruntled is a big part of the managers job. So far it seems like there is a genuine good feeling in the camp and togetherness. If you look at the team nearly everyone is hungry to get to the Championship for either the first time or having a point to prove - the objective of promotion is very uniting.

I'm sure everyone wants to be starting but if the lads on the pitch are playing well and getting results it's hard for anyone to really moan about not getting in the starting 11. But you want them to have the drive and mentality that wants to play and create fierce competition for places so I don't think them not being happy on the bench is necessarily bad as long as it's channelled and managed correctly.

It'll be a long hard season, I'm sure everyone will get their chance when the inevitable injuries and suspensions come. But some will have to make the most of cup games and cameos as subs to try and push their way in when the starting 11 are doing so well.

With such a strong squad I think the shocking Wolves game probably cost some of those players places on the bench and sub appearances they may have had if they did well. So Sunderland tomorrow is the squad players chance to raise their stock and get back to the forefront of Richardson's thinking.

Totally agree with you about the performance against Wolves U21's costing players their places on the bench. There were a lot of inept performances that night and I am sure LR noted that and will be looking for a great improvement tomorrow.

I'm surprised Latics haven't issued some sort of statement about fans entering the playing area.
We all feel the excitement when we score and it's tempting to run on the pitch and join in.
But the lad who ran on, on Saturday could easily have injured Wyke and any other player.

I'm surprised Latics haven't issued some sort of statement about fans entering the playing area.
We all feel the excitement when we score and it's tempting to run on the pitch and join in.
But the lad who ran on, on Saturday could easily have injured Wyke and any other player.

We've been warned by the EFL loads over the years about our fans getting on the pitch when we score so we probably don't want to draw attention to it and have them getting on us.

The club also have to tread careful PR wise, if the mention the lad running on the pitch in a statement probably have to follow it through by banning him. While most sensible people will say that is fair enough as it's illegal and he could've accidentally hurt someone. But there will be plenty of others (probably mostly on Twitter) who would turn on the club saying it was a massive over reaction, no harm was done and he was just an excited fan etc.

With the feel good factor around the club the board probably don't want to put anything negative out if they can avoid it and rock that boat. If it happens again and more join in they'll probably have no choice, but with it just being the one guy i think they'll not want to acknowledge it or make a big deal out of it - even if they aren't happy about it.

What do you do when you are up early on a Sunday morning, nursing an away day hang over ? You register on Accrington's iFollow and watch the full 90 minutes again, Yes, sad I know, but I've seen so much more of the game now than I did with my very dodgy aging inebriated eyes from the back of the away end.

Interestingly (?) it was the Latics TV coverage with commentary from Ash and Tommy on the Accrington website, wonder when / If Latics will start to make the full 90 minute replays available on their own website so that I don't need to register on umpteen away teams iFollows.

Just stumbled across the full 90 minutes of the Accrington game on the latics website which sates it's been available for 3 days.
I did email the club about making the full 90 minutes videos available again, maybe it's just coincidence though, either way well done the club and please do it for all games from here on in.