Accrington Stanley (a): What 3 Things Did We Learn? | Vital Football

Accrington Stanley (a): What 3 Things Did We Learn?

1. Nine months ago, just before the lockdown I went to see what was a great game for the neutral when we lost 4-3 at Accrington in a deluge. Lincoln played their part in a very enjoyable game in terrible conditions, but what we saw that day was the Achilles heel of that team. It was a game we should have won but a failure to take the elements into account coupled with poor game management meant we lost. That game has actually turned into a blessing in disguise as it highlighted where we needed to improve. Now Saturday's game never came close to being the game that February's was, but we had that extra bit of team control which meant that despite not playing as well as we can, we came away with a vital point. We'd have lost if those changes had not been made.

2. Is Alex Palmer going to be the best goalkeeper we have ever had? Of course we have had some top ones between the sticks in my lifetime starting with Peter Grotier, through David Felgate and onto Mazza and Farms, but all of them had a mistake in them. I just feel that Palmer hasn't got one in him at all. You can see that the defence trusts his judgement and has complete confidence in him. I know that some are concerned that Forest might recall Johnson in January. I'm more concerned that West Brom's leaky defence would be hugely improved by our current number 1.

3. As so often having a player advantage often doesn't play in your favour. Accrington closed up shop when they went down to 10 and this means any quick breakaways, which we are pretty good at, don't come around. This has been the case for ages so those thinking that Saturday was two points dropped purely because of that need to do some research