Accrington Chairman (again) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Accrington Chairman (again)

The parachute payments put a sticking plaster on a problem.

Instead all players should have a huge wage decrease clause in their contracts should their side be relegated from the premier league. Clubs should also be visited by external auditors on relegation to see what off field costs can be cut. Then clubs can afford to carry on once relegated without the parachute payments.

Prevention is better than cure.

I've always said that relegation clauses should be mandatory in contracts. Whether it's something that can be done, I'm not sure.

Contracts should absolutely be written to pay salaries pertaining to the division the club inhabits. Actually even more essential at our end of the Lge to cover dropping out altogether when loss of Lge funding can be totally catastrophic.

Due to the greed of the top tier clubs in the premier league, the premier league itself could well be under threat. How long before these clubs get their heads together with the likes of Juventus, Barcelona etc and replace the Champions League with a European League. This has been muted before but eventually it will become a reality there greed just won't let them resist it. Sky , BT etc would love it too.

the european nations game tonight certainly showed that converting friendlies to a competition improves the quality of the game. a european club league - rather than multiple club friendlies - can't be far away...

then sky will insist on a world club league.

Due to the greed of the top tier clubs in the premier league, the premier league itself could well be under threat. How long before these clubs get their heads together with the likes of Juventus, Barcelona etc and replace the Champions League with a European League. This has been muted before but eventually it will become a reality there greed just won't let them resist it. Sky , BT etc would love it too.
Let them go. It would make for a much more exciting EFL competition. Imagine a Scottish league for example without Celtic and (traditional) Rangers; a far better proposition. Likewise in England without the top four or five. Sky etc. could only push a European League so far as the majority of fans in the UK support teams other than the top 4/5.

14 clubs playing russian roulette. 3 bullets in the gun. sunderland played by christopher walken.
Brilliant ??
My sympathy to a degree must go to Mackem fans who have suffered absolute dross for a few seasons now, was it one home win in a Calendar year at one point?
Accrington have made an incredible effort already this season, although selling Jackson to Ipswich for over £1m would’ve helped. I can’t understand their lack of fans though despite tough competition locally, as it doesn’t seem to improve on 2k despite an attractive playing style too? ?

Accrington have made an incredible effort already this season, although selling Jackson to Ipswich for over £1m would’ve helped. I can’t understand their lack of fans though despite tough competition locally, as it doesn’t seem to improve on 2k despite an attractive playing style too? ?

I can, really. They're placed smack in the middle of the fierce rivalry between Blackburn and Burnley (I think it's less than 10 miles to either town) so most fans are committed to one or the other and it's not exactly as if either are doing badly right now.

In their NPL days the usual attendance was around 600-700.

There was also the case when Blackburn were in the Premier League that Accrington's ticket prices were higher than Blackburn's. And that was understandable as they rely a lot more on gate income from their regulars.

I don't really see how they can be a serious rival for support to the much bigger clubs on their doorstep.

Last edited: