Accrington Chairman (again) | Vital Football

Accrington Chairman (again)

I'm starting to like this guy. Lots of valid and salient points and highlights the single biggest challenge that the game faces. It simply cannot be right that a club relegated from the Premier League has to receive 2-3 years of parachute payments to in essence prevent them from going bust. On average a relegated team gets £90million across three years and so Sunderland, irrespective of what league they are in next season will be getting another £20million from the Premier League, so if they remain in League One and we go up then that is what we are competing against.

There was a really good article in the Independent back in March about this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...y-football-league-finance-money-a8255976.html

Of course the alternative solution that no-one ever seems to mention is to make the Premier League a closed shop and have no promotion or relegation. It would remove the need for parachute payments but would extinguish the hopes and dreams of everyone else.

Let's not kid ourselves, the dangers of this continuing unchecked pose far more of a threat to our game than the presence of PL U23 sides in the Checkatrade Trophy does.

"Let's not kid ourselves, the dangers of this continuing unchecked pose far more of a threat to our game than the presence of PL U23 sides in the Checkatrade Trophy does."

It's all part and parcel of the same thing. Both problems arise directly from the Premier League and are in turn a result of the vast sums of cash swilling around up there.

"Going up is the easy bit, because your costs never rise as fast as your income. When it goes the other way though and clubs get relegated, the future of a club can be risked because you cannot cut costs as quickly as your income falls"

Yes, that's clearly true, but staying put will also lose money, as maintaining the club's status demands more and more is put into the player budget.

Taking the Premier League as an example, the only way to make money out of it is to ensure you are immediately relegated, in the way that I'm fairly confident Vincent Tan is currently doing at Cardiff. Next season he will hope to have a much more viable and competitive Championship club than he had two seasons ago.

But there are at least a dozen current Premier League clubs who are going to be relegated sooner or later. There are only six, possibly seven, who are not going to lose their position.

How about the notion of dual contracts i.e. 'this is what you get with bonuses if we remain in the PL, this is what you get and your release clause if we get relegated'. Obviously the big six wouldn't need dual contracts but the others would benefit. I suppose the fall down there is that in their desperation to sign a 'star' player the agents would make sure it wouldn't happen when playing clubs off against each other.

Piece in the FLP yesterday saying that championship chairmen are keen to form a premier league 2.
The 100 million in tv money was the main motivation as in Leeds got 7.5 million from the EFL deal even though they're regularly.
The bubble will burst one day.

"Let's not kid ourselves, the dangers of this continuing unchecked pose far more of a threat to our game than the presence of PL U23 sides in the Checkatrade Trophy does."

It's all part and parcel of the same thing. Both problems arise directly from the Premier League and are in turn a result of the vast sums of cash swilling around up there.

Do agree on the whole. It is the vast income streams in the premier league that are allowing teams to just spend, spend, spend unchecked that are causing the problems. Premier League 2 will become a reality sooner rather than later unfortunately - but at what cost to the EFL?

"Going up is the easy bit, because your costs never rise as fast as your income. When it goes the other way though and clubs get relegated, the future of a club can be risked because you cannot cut costs as quickly as your income falls"

Yes, that's clearly true, but staying put will also lose money, as maintaining the club's status demands more and more is put into the player budget.

Taking the Premier League as an example, the only way to make money out of it is to ensure you are immediately relegated, in the way that I'm fairly confident Vincent Tan is currently doing at Cardiff. Next season he will hope to have a much more viable and competitive Championship club than he had two seasons ago.

But there are at least a dozen current Premier League clubs who are going to be relegated sooner or later. There are only six, possibly seven, who are not going to lose their position.
Similar to what Burnley did a few years back. Obviously didn't ensure they went down, but one season in the PL is worth a couple of competitive years in the Championship.

How about the notion of dual contracts i.e. 'this is what you get with bonuses if we remain in the PL, this is what you get and your release clause if we get relegated'. Obviously the big six wouldn't need dual contracts but the others would benefit. I suppose the fall down there is that in their desperation to sign a 'star' player the agents would make sure it wouldn't happen when playing clubs off against each other.
I've always said that relegation clauses should be mandatory in contracts. Whether it's something that can be done, I'm not sure.

The EPL: bastard offspring of Margaret Thatcher, Rupert Murdoch and King Croesus of Lydia. ?

"

Taking the Premier League as an example, the only way to make money out of it is to ensure you are immediately relegated, in the way that I'm fairly confident Vincent Tan is currently doing at Cardiff.

Can't see why it's not like he actually needs the cash is it! Just all about greed!

Getting promoted to the prem and then getting relegated after one season is worth around 200 million with parachute payments and the tv money before you factor in bigger crowds and all the other bits, but then you get teams like Portsmouth and Bolton.

Of course it is. Greed can equally mean living beyond your means on the never never.
yes, and greed is not purely associated with money. it is also associated with power. and where you have those greedy for more power, you have those who want to control more and more.

i see a show called ultimate controlfreak. where premier league chairmen, locked in the same room, try to rip each others throats out.