Accents... | Vital Football

Accents...

BobHatton

Vital Champions League
Benítez getting appointed as Everton manager got me thinking about how times have changed with accents and globalisation.
There was a time when a lot of English clubs employed a lot of 'home grown' players - even locals to an extent and whenever a 'foreign' player was signed they picked up a local accent quite easily: Jan Molby being the classic example!
These days of course players are just as likely to pick up Italian, Spanish, German, French etc accents WITHIN an English team!

What accent do you have? Has it changed depending on your geographical location and the company you keep? Mine has certainly picked up a Strine twang (as pointed out by friends and family from the UK) and I suppose that's unavoidable after 20 years or so. It's proven, obviously, that the younger you move to another place/country then the more likely you are to acquire the local accent. My wife moved from Lancashire to Canada at the age of 10. At 15 they returned to Lancashire and she had a very prominent Canadian accent. Within a couple of years though it had returned to a Lancashire droll.
What's happened to you?