A-Z TV and Radio Comedy Shows | Vital Football

A-Z TV and Radio Comedy Shows

Lindum

Vital Football Hero
Seems a natural follow on from Cheese and Sauce. Shows can be either TV or Radio or both.

A - All Gas and Gaiters (which ran on TV from 1966-1971 and then on Radio 1971-1972. A clerical farce with Derek Nimmo)

Last edited:
B Beyond our Ken - BBC Radio forerunner (1958-64) of Kenneth Horne's "Round the Horne", which is much better known, and features some of the same comedy actors. I vaguely remember it - only a youngster at the time.

B Beyond our Ken - BBC Radio forerunner (1958-64) of Kenneth Horne's "Round the Horne", which is much better known, and features some of the same comedy actors. I vaguely remember it - only a youngster at the time.
Well done, Mike. When I thought of B that was the show that came to me.

C (The) Clitheroe Kid.

We stayed near Clitheroe a few years ago and there is a museum (small) about Jimmy Clitheroe.
It would be small, Caz, as Jimmy was only 4'2". Very sad. Died 5 days after his mom. "Accidental" overdose of sleeping pills my bottom! Plus 7 brandies. RIP.

Alway used to listen to the " Clitheroe Kid " when it was on Sunday afternoon BBC radio.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

D Dad's Army - WW2 Home Guard platoon comedy. Broadcast as a BBC TV and BBC Radio show. Some of the barmy military training routines in the scripts were based on real instructions fom the Ministry of Defence during wartime!

Alway used to listen to the " Clitheroe Kid " when it was on Sunday afternoon BBC radio.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

D Dad's Army - WW2 Home Guard platoon comedy. Broadcast as a BBC TV and BBC Radio show. Some of the barmy military training routines in the scripts were based on real instructions fom the Ministry of Defence during wartime!
Mike, this is spooky as Dad's Army would have been my choice too!

E - Educating Archie (showing my age again!!) Sunday radio ventriloquist with a dummy called Archie Andrews.

That was slightly before my radio-comedy listening time.There was a tv version too, which I don't remember ever seeing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

F Fawlty Towers - BBC TV comedy based on an eccentrically-run (real) hotel in Torquay. John Cleese played the main character, Basil Fawlty. John Cleese, and Connie Booth (who played Polly, the maid), wrote the scripts. Like Dad's Army, it is still often shown on tv.

Last edited:
H Happy Days - Nostalgic American tv comedy set in the 1950's . The show was made in the 1970's. Henry Winkler played the main character, Arthur "The Fonz" Fonzarelli, who was usually hanging about in Arnold's restaurant/ "greasy spoon" type cafe, where most of the action normally took place.

Last edited:
Alternative F - a shout for Fags, Mags and Bags. Radio comedy with ten series so far since 2007. Set in a Glasgow convenience store with Sanjeev Kohli as the Indian proprietor. I love it.

Alternative G - got to be a mention for The Goon Show. 1950s Radio with Sellers, Milligan, Secombe and Bentine. TV adaptations, films, songs, books and a major influence on much that followed. Truly iconic.

Alternative H - the genius of Tony Hancock on radio and TV in the 1950s and early 1960s in Hancock's Half Hour. I have every TV episode on DVD and every radio episode as MP3 on my computer. A big part of my early years.

I - two selections for I.
Firstly, It's That Man Again (ITMA) a radio show starring Tommy Handley which ran 1939-1949 and was immensely popular in WW2. It's format including regular characters with catchphrases and musical interludes influenced many shows of the 1950s. My parents talked fondly of it.
Secondly, It Ain't Half Hot, Mum, BBC1 1974-1981, starring Don Estelle, Windsor Davies and Melvyn Hayes. Set in a fictional village of Tin Min in Burma in 1945, the racial stereotyping and racist language of the British soldier characters means the BBC will never show episodes again. It was however very popular at the time.

The Goon Shows were often repeated on radio, available on record, now on iplayer etc. Although I was too young to have heard the original broadcasts, I have heard a lot of the episodes. I also liked the tv version - "The Telegoons". The Goon Show was very influential eg admired by Terry Jones of Monty Python.
Also, I liked Tony Hancock (whose life had a sad end).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternative J .... Just William - several BBC Radio and tv productions based on the schoolboy novels. Preferred the "Jennings " books when I was a youngster. There have been various BBC Radio and tv productions of those too.

Last edited:
I only remember it from long before Stewart. Some old guy used to say "Hello, children everywhere." I think kids rang in asking for songs?

I think that was Uncle Mac. I had an LP of children's songs called 'Hello Children Everywhere'. Well, it might have been my sister's but I used to 'borrow' her things!