A-Z Of Yorkshire | Vital Football

A-Z Of Yorkshire

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
As it's Yorkshire Day tomorrow (1st August) I thought we might try this one.

It can be anything from words, to places, to teams, to food, people - anything as long as it's to do with Yorkshire!

A Aire (River that runs through Leeds)

B Barnsley FC (the club that tries to outbid us for players at the last minute)... Didn't work for the 2019/20 season though, did it? :innocent:

Last edited:
D Doncaster Rovers... and the Doc's daft five-player exchange deal . Can't remember one happening before or since. Three players going out from Millmoor (Rabjohn, Wilcockson , Clish), two players coming in from Belle Vue (Leigh, G. Watson). Although Denis Leigh was a reliable left-back and good at blasting free-kicks and penalties, Graham Watson was a lightweight injury-prone forward who rarely scored (He played 13 games for us, scored once, and then returned to Donny) Was the deal done to cut wage costs?...or lower the average age of the Millers squad? Whatever it was, it didn't really work and we got relegated

E Eboracum . What the Romans called York, the capital city of Yorkshire. Believed to be the Romanised version of an even older name meaning "yew tree place"

D Doncaster Rovers... and the Doc's daft five-player exchange deal . Can't remember one happening before or since. Three players going out from Millmoor (Rabjohn, Wilcockson , Clish), two players coming in from Belle Vue (Leigh, G. Watson). Although Denis Leigh was a reliable left-back and good at blasting free-kicks and penalties, Graham Watson was a lightweight injury-prone forward who rarely scored (He played 13 games for us, scored once, and then returned to Donny) Was the deal done to cut wage costs?...or lower the average age of the Millers squad? Whatever it was, it didn't really work and we got relegated

A few strange happenings when the Doc was here - as you say, probably all about money (it usually is)

F Finningley Airport - now the Sheffield/Doncaster Airport (how Sheffield got their name on it I do not know) was the Robin Hood Airport before that.

F Finningley Airport - now the Sheffield/Doncaster Airport (how Sheffield got their name on it I do not know) was the Robin Hood Airport before that.
Same reason as London Stansted - which is out in the midde of Cambridgeshire! Should have called Stansted Airport something like "Syd Barrett Airport" instead, to avoid confusion that it is anywhere near London.

Oops, just found out that Stansted is actually in Essex !:giggle:
Still miles from London though.

Last edited:
G Grimethorpe. Near Barnsley, and has a rather off-putting name. They have a world-famous brass band there though.

H Harrogate. Appropriate for today as Harrogate Town FC play Notts County at Wembley for a place in the Football League. No Harrogate team has previously achieved Football League status.

Update 1 -
Ex-Miller Brindley playing for Notts County, but Harrogate leading 3-1 going into the last ten minutes

Update 2 -
Final score 3-1. Harrogate Town promoted, and another Yorkshire team in the Football League. Well done!

Last edited:
J James Mason - actor born in Huddersfield. A fact I found out recently is that his daughter-in-law in Belinda Carlisle.

Saw Belinda Carlisle at the Arena - can’t remember who she was supporting though.

K - Keighley, don’t think I have ever been!

K - Keighley...
Keighley -Smallish town in the West Yorks asteroid belt, more associated with rugby league (The Cougars) than football. I have been to the town - the Timothy Taylor beers were excellent.

L -Leeds... I suppose we had better mention them. Well known for a dirty football team and the BBC local news programme "Look Leeds". ;)
I lived there for a couple of years. Plenty there for football, cricket, rugby league and union fans . One of the biggest student populations in Europe too, so there is always plenty going on with rock bands, arts events, etc . It's actually quite good, but it still feels wonderful when the Millers beat them with a last minute goal.

Last edited:
Not sure I've ever been to Keighley either! And I didn't know they had a rugby league side.

M Masham - pass it on the A1 on way home from visiting my son and family and every time we pass I say 'we should call there' because I remember Sixpence telling me that it was nice.

N - New York stadium. Home to the Millers. "Nobby" Noble never got the opportunity to play there, but David Noble did. Jordan Nobbs too (for England)

Last edited:
O Osgodby - two in Yorkshire, one near Scarborough and the other in Selby.
I've passed through the one near Scarborough.

Q Queensbury - hilltop village near Bradford. Nothing to do with the rules of boxing, but the home of another world famous brass band - the Black Dyke Mills Band