A-Z Of Water | Vital Football

A-Z Of Water

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
This can be anything, anything at all that is to do with water!

A Atlantic Ocean - lots of water there! My Mum's favourite place was Bedruthan Steps in Cornwall which led down to the Atlantic. When we went to Cornwall we always had to pay a visit there. Think you have to pay these days.

B Black ice - a frozen version of oxygen dihydride. Not seen any yet this season, but probably only a matter of time. Drive (and walk) carefully!

C - Canals - I am sure barges would be an economical and environmentally friendly way of moving heavy goods.

It goes right into York city centre. Been for a boat cruise on it, though not a very long one. Pleasant on a summer's day.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G Grasmere - Cumbrian lake situated in area mentioned in "Panic" by The Smiths

Last edited:
J Jordan - Common river name. As well as the famous one in the Middle East, there are at least three in England - in Dorset, Merseyside and Northants

So did I ... same day as I met Bobby Charlton and Nobby Stiles!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
N Non-linearity of water molecules- due to electronic repulsions caused by lone electon-pairs on oxygen, water molecules are sort of boomerang shaped, with the H-O-H bond angle 104.5 degrees. So what you may think?... but that non-linearity enables water molecules to easily form hydrogen-bonded sheets with hexagonal (almost) symmetry - hence the pattern seen in snowflakes, and the fairly open honeycomb structure of ice crystals , which are LESS dense than water. The latter property has had a profound effect on the geology and biology on the surface of the earth, and probably the evolution of life here.

Last edited:
P "Pouring it down" postponements - not quite such a problem for causing Football League matches to be called off these days, with modern pitch drainage. Lots of games further down the "pyramid" called off in 2019/20 though, due to waterlogged pitches. Only just avoided it at a very soggy Maidenhead in the FA Cup last season. :khat:

Last edited:
T Torrential rain - like at that Maidenhead FA Cup match. Also, a freak storm before a Brentford away game in the mid/late 80s. Whilst making the fairly short walk from Kew station to Griffin Park, I got drenched. Had to stop at a pub near the ground to tip the rainwater out of my shoes :p.
It was a hot sunny day once the rain stopped, and although there were big puddles on the pitch just before kick off time, the surface quickly dried out and (amazingly) the game went ahead on time

Last edited: