A-Z Of TV Programmes No Longer On Terrestrial TV | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of TV Programmes No Longer On Terrestrial TV

U Up Pompeii! - Roman empire comedy, with Frankie Howerd playing the main character, the slave Lurcio. The stories are quite similar to some real Roman empire plays, which in turn had been based on Greek plays from about 200BC. I knew that some of the jokes were old, but..!
The Roman re-writes of the plays improved the older Greek versions, by making the "Clever Slave" the main character, who would interact with the audience. (Yes, missus, they did!). This proved to be very popular with Roman amphitheatre-goers.

Final "modern" episode was shown on tv in 1970.

Last edited:
It was "revived" in 2010. Not sure when last episode was shown. I remember noticing that it was on, and initially thought that it was a repeat, but it wasn't.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
V Voyage to the bottom of the sea -US submarine adventure from the 1960's. Watched it when I was a kid. Tv episodes were made 1964-68.

Last edited:
X X-Files - Gillian Anderson was in it - seen her recently in an Irish Drama, she was an English DC and was very good. She was good as Margaret Thatcher in the Crown too.

Y Yus, my dear - LWT 1976 sitcom starring Arthur Mullard, Queenie Watts and Mike Reid. Arthur Mullard was also a regular guest on Blankety Blank (see earlier post), and the other two (later in Eastenders) may have been on it too.

Z Zoo Time - Desmond Morris I think. As a family we weren't really 'into animals' so I don't remember watching it.