A-Z Of Things That Go Up or/and Down | Vital Football

A-Z Of Things That Go Up or/and Down

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
This can be anything real, imaginary, real names, nicknames . . . .

A AIRPLANE - probably not at the moment but usually go up!

This can be anything real, imaginary, real names, nicknames . . . .

A AIRPLANE - probably not at the moment but usually go up!
I gave you a "like" for putting this up this morning but it seems to have disappeared. May be senility on my part so I'm doing it again.

D Dividends - I recall my Mum and Auntie used to have 'divvies' at the Co-op and were so happy when they went 'up'. I don't really remember what they were to be honest but I don't remember ever hearing they had gone down!

D Dividends - I recall my Mum and Auntie used to have 'divvies' at the Co-op and were so happy when they went 'up'. I don't really remember what they were to be honest but I don't remember ever hearing they had gone down!
I seem to remember taking a little book along to the Co-op and when you bought stuff they put stamps in it. Presumably you could cash them in somehow?
I checked this and I don't think they were stamps but rather chits based on around 2-3% of what you spent. You could cash them in either yearly or twice a year. Some people say you had to go to the local Head Office to do this but I can't remember.

Last edited:
Re : Co-op dividends . I think in the old days you used to get a voucher/cash when you handed in a completed book. It was a bit like "Green Shield" stamps. The Co-op has sort of continued the "Dividend" in the form of a loyalty card , which also has offers on individual items. I've got one ! (worth having if you live near a Co-op shop).
In the 60's the dividend only went "down" when you cashed your book in. The dividend wasn't just for groceries - it covered school uniforms, electrical equipment, etc. The Co-op on Main Street was a big department store back then, and most towns and city centres had similar big stores.
------------------------------------------------------------
E Escalators and elevators - been on/in some today at railway stations

Last edited:
Been on one at Scaboro' a few times.
-------------------------------------------

G Gradients - on hilly terrain.

Last edited:
Re : I've got one ! (worth having if you live near a Co-op shop).
In the 60's the dividend only went "down" when you cashed your book in. The dividend wasn't just for groceries - it covered school uniforms, electrical equipment, etc. The Co-op on Main Street was a big department store back then, and most towns and city centres had similar big stores.
------------------------------------------------------------

Worth knowing about the loyalty card, Mike.

And now you say it I do think school uniform came into it with my Mum.

I Inflatables
or
I Icarus (flew too close to the Sun, his wax wings melted and he fell into the sea and drowned)