A-Z Of The Radio | Vital Football

A-Z Of The Radio

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
I sometimes still call it a wireless!

This can be anything from presenter to name, to programme, to station, to parts of .... anything goes!

A Alan 'Fluff' Freeman - best known for Pick of the Pops 'Pop pickers!' and was born in Australia, which I didn't know until I looked him up.

B Bruno Brookes - Radio One disc-jockey. I wasn't really a fan, but he did once play, by accident, an uncensored version of a Rage Against the Machine single on Radio One, which landed him in a bit of trouble.
:balloon:

Last edited:
I have been on board the Radio Caroline ship, when it was moored at Southend for a while.

David Hamilton also did the announcements at Fulham's Craven Cottage ground for many years.

Alternative "D" - Desert Island Discs. Legendary BBC radio show that has been running since 1942 and is now a BBC Radio 4 production.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E Elastic FM - Radio station broadcasting in the Clowne / Bolsover area in Derbyshire

Last edited:
F Forge Radio - there used to be a Forge Radio in Sheffield run, I think, by the Universities but not sure if it's still there.

G Gardener's Question Time - the programme was first broadcast in 1947 and is still running on BBC Radio 4

I Independent Radio News - News bulletin service that was broadcast on many non-BBC UK radio stations. Now contracted to Sky.

Yes, I remember him. Also John Dunne's Breakfast Special from that era.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
L Long wave- radio frequency of the main BBC Radio channels in the old day, plus medium wave for Radio 1 , etc. Then later AM/ FM etc

Last edited:
M Medium Wave - used mainly for AM broadcasts

You know I'd still prefer a radio with a dial I could touch and move about - can't get on with these new ones, we have six 'channels' on the one in the kitchen and everyone is tuned to Radio Sheffield because I can't work out how to get another station on without losing that one.

I have seen modern radios with 1960s style dials advertised (Haven't bought one though)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N - North Sea International (RNI). 1970s pirate radio station which was a bit like Radio Luxembourg. Picked up the signal in Brinsworth ok on a normal transistor radio, although not great sound quality by modern stanards! It was a bit confusing though as it broadcast in Dutch (and possibly German) at different times of the day, as well as in English.

Last edited:
Yes, I remember him. Also John Dunne's Breakfast Special from that era.

I listen to Ken every morning if I am at home!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
L Long wave- radio frequency of the main BBC Radio channels in the old day, plus medium wave for Radio 1 , etc. Then later AM/ FM etc

I meant from the era when the Ken Bruce BBC radio show first started - apologies for the confusion! (I accidentally chopped out a bit of my original post)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O Orwell - Commercial radio station broadcasting to the Ipswich/Colchester/Suffolk area. Named after the local river.... as was "George" , who lived in Southwold for several years (Real name Eric Blair).

Last edited:
Q Quote...unquote - long-running quotation-based panel game show, hosted by Nigel Rees. First broadcast in 1976 and is currently a BBC Radio 4 programme.

S Sports Report- one of the most famous British radio shows of all time. Started 3rd January 1948 on the Light Programme, Now on Radio Five Live. The well-known theme tune is called "Out of the blue". Before the internet, if you were not near a television set, this would have been the quickest way to get the day's football results by transistor radio, after the matches had finished.