A-Z Of Spring | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Spring

... or... Upper temperature averages in England, in Spring. These range (in degrees C) from 9.3 in March to 15.4 in May .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

V Violets - Spring blooming flowers. Some have a nice scent and are edible. They stop blooming if the weather gets too hot. Typical colours - the clue is in the name!

Last edited:
If I've ever grown violets (not very often succeeded) they have never smelt.

W Wall Flowers - mine are just starting to come out. My other half once asked what he should get me from the children for Mothers Day and I said 'just get me some flowers' - he came back with a packet of seeds, wall flowers then queried that maybe he shouldn't have as we hadn't, at that time, got a wall!

Wallflowers are usually easy to grow and are pleasantly scented. Fairly common to see them growing wild on urban sites.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

X XML configuration in "Spring" - computer programming stuff. Something to do with Java (not the volcanic island), and "beans" (not the edible kind!). That is about as far as my knowledge on the subject goes.

Last edited:
Yes, that's why I can grow them, Mike!

I'm just impressed you got an X!

Y Young - may animals' young are born in spring

Z Zinnias - colourful bedding plants which bloom in late spring in England. They are native to Mexico, and need dry warm conditions, so need to keep them indoors in plantpots in winter. "Easy to grow" according to BBC Gardening website. Not sure if I have ever seen any in gardens, but they look good in the photos. Some varieties look like mini-dahlias at first glance, but there are many other varied flower shapes.

Last edited:
I’ve planted dwarf zinnias on occasion in the past. They start flowering later than most bedding plants but also they continue flowering into the autumn.

I have heard of Zinnias but, like Mike, can't say I've seen any so pleased you have had some, Sixpence!

Another A-Z finished - thanks for joining in everyone!