A-Z Of Spring | Vital Football

A-Z Of Spring

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
Today is the first day of Spring (though I always thought it was the 21st but the diaries/calendars in this house say it's today). So this can by anything to do with Spring.

A April - I always think that's when spring really starts

E - Energy, somehow I always seem to have more energy on the bright sunny days of Spring.

F First cuckoo of Spring - doesn't somebody usually write a letter to the Times about hearing it? (Not that I buy the newspaper).
Just checked their website - current editor is claiming that it is an "urban myth" although the website also says that somebody wrote in about hearing a cuckoo in November!
Don't recall ever hearing a cuckoo in the Rotherham area though, in Spring or at any other time.

Last edited:
When my son was small we used to take him in Valley woods and did hear a cuckoo the odd times but not for many many years. And I couldn't have told you what season it was!

G Grass - usually time to start cutting the grass when spring arrives

My Dad's favourite flower. I had a lot a one time (big and little) but over the years they have disappeared.

J June - usually the last month of spring though I think a lot of it is now in summer

K Knitwear - clothing retailers (eg M & S) usually bring out a new range of Spring knitwear every year. I haven't bought any new clothes in 2021 yet, as far as I recall.

M Marsh marigolds - Yellow Spring-blooming plants. Aso known as "Kingcups". Related to buttercups, and they may look "buttery" but don't eat them , as they are quite toxic to humans (and dogs)!

Last edited:
N Narcissus - another of the daffodil family that has connections with the Greek son of the river god who fell in love with his own reflection.

P Primroses - Latin name : Primula polyantha . Spring-bloomiing flowers, which are typically yellow. Pink, white, etc, varieties are also known.

S Spring onions - Young onions with small bulbs slender green stems, and they are usually eaten raw. Similarly - "scallions" and "green onions". (The ska hit record by Booker T and the MG's was actually a tribute to a cat with an unusual name though!)

Last edited:
T Tulips - I bought some black tulip bulbs some years ago and they were great for a couple of years but since then they have become white!!