A-Z Of Sports Stadiums | Vital Football

A-Z Of Sports Stadiums

B Brunton Park - home of Carlisle United. Scene of the Millers promotion clinching win in the 1980/81 season. Hundreds of Millers fans were still queuing to get into the ground when Rod Fern scored the only goal of the game! Happy memories for many Millers though, and I saw the goal!(y)

Last edited:
The rugby league club is definitely the senior partner there...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E Elland Road - Home of Leeds United. Been there several times, never seen us win. FA Cup replay in 1971 there was a cracker though, even though we lost 2-3. Quite impressed by the stadium back then, but not a great view for away fans now.

Last edited:
G (The) Gabba - Brisbane Cricket Ground, Queensland, Australia. Gets its name from the Woolloongabba district of Brisbane, where it is situated. A few hours ago , an injury-hit India side scored 329-7 to beat Australia there to win their Test series 2-1, after India had been bowled out for just 36 in the First Test. Probably the most amazing comeback in Indian test match cricket history! (y)

Last edited:
Been to Headingley many times to see the cricket, including for the "Botham Test Match" in 1981. Lived in the district for a couple of years too - quite liked it. Was hoping to go there last season, but couldn't because of Covid restrictions. Watched some games live via the iinternet though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I "Innsbruck" - Austrian ski jump stadium in Innsbruck's Bergisel district. I have been there, right at the top of the the slope... in summer, when there was no competition on. Quite a view from up there. The stadium guide told me that the ski-jumpers line their skis up with a church graveyard in the distance when they set off! Stadium has been upgraded since I visited it.

Last edited:
I saw Boycott's 100th hundred at Headingley - it happened to coincide with my birthday! Waltzing with Boycott was heard all around Leeds by both England and Aussie fans who shared their lager with everyone (but me as I was pregnant!)

J Jan Breydel Stadium is in Bruges - I think there are a couple of football teams play there

Missed you by one day, Caz. I was at Headingley the day after Boycott's 100th hundred, when he was presented with a trophy by Len Hutton before the day's play started.
____________________________________________________________________________________

K KCOM stadium. - Previously KC Stadium. Home of Hull City AFC and Hull FC rugby league club. Owned by Kingston-upon-Hull Council. Not been there yet, though I saw the Millers play at Boothferry Park several times. Hull Kingston Rovers rugby league club is based elsewhere in Hull, at Craven Park

Last edited:
M Millmoor - ex-home of Rotherham United F.C. So many great memories... and a few bad ones too. Still in use for various purposes, even football sometimes.

Last edited:
O Old Trafford - Been to the cricket ground several times, but haven't been to the football ground. FA Cup game next season would do.

I've been to the cricket ground many moons ago and haven't been to the football ground since I was in my teens, so I rather think it will have changed a bit!

P Post Office Road - Featherstone Rovers play there, though it's called something else I think now. Never been.

Q Queen's Park, Chesterfield - One of the "out-grounds" used for Derbyshire county cricket. It really is part of a park. Seen a few Derbyshire v Yorkshire one-day games there, but not recently. Quite a cosy little ground, not far from the the town centre

Last edited:
Never been to that one, but I have been to Malahide ("The Village") cricket ground in North Dublin. Probably too difficult to get tickets for an international game there, but I would love to see Yorkshire play there in a cup competition or a pre-season friendly, and stay for a few days.
:guiness:
___________________________________________________________________________________

T Turf Moor - Burnley's ground. Seen the Millers play there several times, including a couple of victories for us. Over the years, found several good pubs to stop off for lunch on on the way there too, on the Yorkshire side of the Yorks-Lancs border.
:cheers:

Last edited: