A-Z Of Sporting Songs/Chants | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Sporting Songs/Chants

T Top of the League, We're top of the league, we're Rotherham United . . . . . well we were for about 15 minutes last week!

...or "Tony Towner is one in a million" . Adapted from a Heinz baked beans advert
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
U - U-U-U-NI-TED, U-U-U-NI-TED... Simple chant, but effective. Sometimes tagged on to the end of other Millers songs

Last edited:
Q Que sera sera - Whatever will be will be, we're going to Wemb-er-lee, que sera sera...

Not even needed last season!

By the way, manager Lennie Lawrence once said in a post-match interview.... "It was a case of deja vu - whatever will be will be"
Remember Lennie Lawrence interviewed on North-East news after getting us promoted to the premier league.
The interviewer commented that we'd be looking to 'consolidate' in the top flight, to which he replied ''No, consolidation sounds to much like relegation to me''

We actually say that when our players miss, digger!!!!

X - well I can only a) think of a cheat and b) it's not really a chant or a saying!

X - heX - Bez and I used to (well I still do) 'hex' when the opposition look like scoring - I spend a lot of time with my fingers in a cross! I was once on holiday, somewhere abroad, and I got a text from Bez saying 'you forgot to hex didn't you'! It was the time before phones had internet etc on, so I had to dash back to the room to find a TV station with Sky on to see what was happening! Obviously, we were losing!

Or...
X Xmas carols and Xmas songs ....

Habbin, Habbin, Habbin, Habbin,
Born is the king of the Tivoili End

There's only one Marky Robins
There's only one Marky Robins
Walking along sing a song
Walking in a Robins Wonderland

Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to see
United win away
(THAT Boxing Day away game at Northampton was a Christmas cracker - great 4-1 win... I know it's going back a bit!):balloon:

Last edited:
Y - You'll never walk alone . Liverpool Kop anthem, although also sung by many other fans too originally, including ours.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z - Zigger zagger, zigger zagger . Oi, oi, oi!

Not sure how Lionel Blair and Una Stubbs would have mimed this one...

It's related to Cornish history and rugby union , a German beer hall drinking chant/game, and it is also a 60s play about football fans!

Apparently when a cornish pastie (oggie) was thrown/lowered down to a tin miner for his snap, the miner's wife would shout "Oggie , oi!" to let them know it was arriving. Hence the Cornish , and then Welsh, rugby union chant "Oggie, oggie oggie. Oi, oi, oi!" . There was also some German beer hall drinking chant /game that involved shouting "Zicker, Zacker, oi !" Put them together at the football World Cup ({late 50s/early 60s?)...and it mutated into the above. Probably more of a rugby union chant, but it was occasionally sung on the Tivoli.

Last edited:
Aren't we fonts of knowledge when it comes to sporting songs and chants! Well done all, and thanks to everyone for having a go!

We actually say that when our players miss, digger!!!!
Ha !!!
Mind you , when i started going to Boro in the seventies:(, we had a striker called David Mills, and i think he must've been a bit of a target for the 'boo boys', cos whenever he missed, the crowd would chant 'He shot, he missed, he must be f**kin p**s*ed, David Mills'.

David Mills, I think, had a short stint with our neighbours Sheff Wednesday. Not sure if it's the same one but there is a David Mills scouting for Leicester City.

David Mills, I think, had a short stint with our neighbours Sheff Wednesday. Not sure if it's the same one but there is a David Mills scouting for Leicester City.
Same one Caz, at both Wednesday and Leicester
He was actually involved in a car crash in the Tyne Tunnel a few years ago, and had to have his face rebuilt apparently.
His father died in the crash too.

Oh dear, digger, that's bad isn't it
When we are round that area we try not to go anywhere near the Tyne Tunnel.

Only been through it a few times.
What i find quite un-nerving is travelling (by road) in the Yorkshire Dales for instance, and there's a shear drop right next to the edge of the road - especially if there's a car coming the other way and the road's narrow.
:help:

I can drive, but i'm not insured for our car (by choice), so obviously when we're on roads like that i'm right next to the 'drop'(on the left).
I really get quite panicky.
We're thinking of travelling up the Buttercups pass (near Hawes) later on in the week (for photography purposes), but after looking at street view i'm not so sure about whether i could manage it now :shake:

Oh, I've not heard of the Buttercups - is is called that for obvious reasons?

I'm guessing you aren't in lockdown, digger?

My family in Hebburn are.

No, not yet.
Bit confusing really - they keep saying 'the north east' is in lock down etc, but it doesnt seem to include us - more Tyneside and wearside i think.
Pretty sure it wont be long for us though - cases seem to be on the up.

Got that wrong- it's actually called ButterTUBS - not sure where the name comes from!

Well, I've never heard of buttertubs either!

Unless it's what they used to put butter in on the farms to sell it?