A-Z Of Sporting Equipment | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Sporting Equipment

I've used the triangle many times when playing snooker and pool.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

U Uneven bars/ asymmetric bars - used in gymnastics. Two parallel bars, usually wooden/fibreglass, set at different heights. The women's uneven bars event is scheduled for the Japan Olympics, if they go ahead.

Never tried the gymnastics ones , but I have been in some uneven bars... and the White Swan in Doncaster town centre used to have a level bar counter around the serving area, but the floor level in the front bar was several feet lower than in the back room , so you had to reach up to get served in the front one. Highest bar counter in Britain for a long period, but It was changed a few years ago .
wswan.jpg

Last edited:
Is the pub still called the White Swan? It sounds familiar but not sure I remember it being called that. Of course, I have to reach up to get served wherever I go!

V Vest Bibs - wore them when I used to play Netball

W - White lines - drawn in different places for different games: rugby, football, hockey, tennis etc

White Swan pub was still there, as named, just before the lockdowns started. Not been up to Doncaster since.
X Xare racquet - woven-mesh racquet for the game, xare, which is related to squash and Basque pelota. "Xare" means "net" in Basque . Played in a walled court called a trinquete. Players wear helmets. Mainly played in South America. Never seen it played live, but there is a clip on YouTube.

Last edited:
... or yellow football, used at the NYS recently
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z Zorb football/ bubble football - players wear a transparent inflated plastic globe (zorb) whilst playing football. Not seen it played live though.

Last edited:
White Swan pub was still there, as named, just before the lockdowns started. Not been up to Doncaster since.
Oh it would have been many years since I've been if indeed it was the same pub.

Well, that's another one done - wasn't expecting to get something for every letter - well done, all!

Thanks for having a go!