A-Z Of Sporting Equipment | Vital Football

A-Z Of Sporting Equipment

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
Not sure how far we'll get with this - don't think we'll do the twenty-six but we can but try.

This can be anything from any sport or anything that might be classed as sport!

A Aerobics Mat - probably has a proper name but as I've never done aerobics I wouldn't know!

Own a couple of sets of darts myself...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F Finger protection in cricket - batsmen and the wicket keeper are allowed to wear gloves. Fielders are not, but finger tape may be used to protect injured fingers. (Requires approval by the umpire). Use of finger tape is not unusual at the professional level of cricket, but never seen it used in games I played in. . We probably wouldn't have had any in the kit bag anyway!

Last edited:
I'm useless at darts. I'm that bad when we used to play the Bullseye game they made me answer the questions!

G Goalposts for professional football - though I'd love to see the Premier League playing with jumpers on the floor instead!

Talking of "Jumpers for Goalposts", I got that "Ron Manager" book "Marvellous, isn't it" for 50p in a charity shop. Hilarious.. and a lot of it based on real life characters and events.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
H Hockey sticks - can be quite dangerous in the hands of school kids , even accidentally. We rarely played hockey at school, but when we did, somebody usually had to leave the field due to injury! (Thankfully, not me)
Hockey can be an entertaining game to watch though, when played properly. Never even seen live ice hockey, but looks quite good on television.

Last edited:
Supported the Sheffield Steelers home and away when the kids were at home, was very enjoyable. Hubby and I went to Canada and watched the Toronto Maple Leafs playing in the Stanley Cup competition and the next year went to New York watched the Islanders play the Rangers at Madison Square Garden!

I - Ice Hockey Skates - very different to recreational skates: more ankle support, shorter blade and no toe pick

J Javelin - spear-like projectile used in field sports competitions. Usually one of the featured events in the women's heptathalon too.

Last edited:
I only played hockey once, accidentally hit a friend above the eye and she had to have stitches at hospital. I felt so guilty and stuck to sports that didn't need me handling equipment after that!

My friends son-in-law, who is Canadian, played for the Steelers and they are now back in Canada where he coaches ice hockey.

K Knee Pads - used in winter sports and skateboarding

Saw similar hockey injuries several times at school
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L Lacrosse stick - or "crosse". A netted racquet which is used to play lacrosse. (Never played it).

or... Lignum vitae bails. Heavy wooden bails which are used in cricket in windy conditions. Don't think that I have ever seen them used in any match that I have played in or watched live, but seen them used in televised games a few times. Might have been handy in the test match today, if it really was a gust of wind that dislodged the bails near the end of the Indian innings. Could it have been a minor earth tremor, or a random quantum fluctuation? Looked like an unexplainable event - one for Mulder and Scully...? :unsure:

Last edited:
I've never played it either, have seen it on TV but didn't really understand it.

M Mouthguards - used in Boxing and Rugby and probably other sports too.

I was going to say Medicine Ball and although I know what one is I don't really know what it's used for

O Optimum Adjustable Kicking Tee - used in rugby. I presume there are other kicking tee's available at all good sports shops.

P Pads - fairly big ones used in cricket by batsmen and usually slightly smaller ones by wicket-keepers. Professional footballers are required to wear shin pads in competitive games.

Last edited:
R Rifle - used in previous Olympic shooting competitions . There will be rifle events in the next Olympics in Japan too, if they go ahead . Never used one myself.

Last edited:
My father-in-law had a rifle that shot plastic caps - why, I have no idea!

S Sliding Shorts - used in baseball to protect the player’s thighs when sliding into bases.