A-Z Of Songs With Place Names In Them | Vital Football

A-Z Of Songs With Place Names In Them

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
This can be anywhere in the world - towns, cities, countries even roads and streets if we get stuck!!

A Abergavenny - Marty Wilde. A town in Wales, can't say I've ever been.

B Barrytown - Steely Dan. Upstate New York, near Annendale apparently, and not the one in the Vale of Glamorgan, Wales.

Last edited:
E Eastbourne Ladies - Staying on the South coast, with a song by Kevin Coyne, who was a sort of raw blusey, manic singer-songwriter from the 1970s. Quite difficult to categorise him, and he also performed with a rock band sometimes. People as diverse as John Lydon and Sting have quoted him an an influence! (Clip of the song on YouTube )

Last edited:
F Fotheringay/Fotheringhay- Fairport Convention/Sandy Denny song. Village in Northamptonshire, which used to have the castle in which Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned. The castle was demolished, and just the mound on which it was built remains. Saw Fairport Convention a couple of times when Sandy Denny was in the band. They were very good. (Clip of the song on YouTube)

Last edited:
... or Galveston by Glen Campbell. The Texas coastal resort that sometimes gets a battering in the hurricane season. Written by Jimmy Webb, and the original version had a more obvious anti-war message to it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

H Blue Hawaii - Elvis Presley. I prefer his upbeat rock and roll stuff though!

Last edited:
H - You’ll take the High Road - sung at the end of every good Scottish Wedding party or these days any event!

I - When Irish Eyes are smiling - many years ago it was sung by Ruby Murray - my Dad’s favourite!

... or "Girl from Ipanema" , a bossanova hit in the UK in 1964 for Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto. Ipanema is a sea-front district of Rio de Janiero.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J Jackson - Sixties hit for the duo Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood. There are several towns of that name in the USA, but this song is generally believed to refer to the one in Tennessee. (Clip on YouTube - quite funny too). I like some of the old Nancy Sinatra recordings - they often have a streak of wry humour in them.

Last edited:
... or ... Katmandu - Bob Seger
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
L Liverpool Lou - by The Scaffold. Song was written by Dominic Behan, brother of famous Irish writer Bredan Behan. The Scaffold were a music/poetry/comedy trio, comprising of John Gorman (who I once briefly met), Roger McGough (better known now for poetry), and Mike McGear/ McCartney (Paul McCartney's brother). McGough's autobiography, which I got in a charity shop for 50p, contains some interesting insights into life in Liverpool in the 40s/50s/60s.

Last edited:
L - Have to mention - Streets of LONDON. by Ralph McTell, great lyrics. Was originally called Streets of Paris.

M - Massachusetts - written and sung by the Bee Gees

N New York , New York - famously sung by Frank Sinatra... a favourite at the NYS!

or ... Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain. Nantucket is an offshore island, governed by the state of Massachusetts. The song was the theme tune to the ITV news / politics programme Weekend World, and the song's lyrics are based on the whaling boat novel "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville.

Last edited:
I have, a few times (old and new grounds), most recently when we drew 3-3......
or... "Oxford Comma" by US indie band Vampire Weekend (Clip on YouTube)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P Pasadena - Temperance Seven. They played 1920's-style jazz, like the early Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, without quite as much surreal humour (although there were actually nine of them in the band!). The song made #4 in the UK singles charts in 1961. (Clip on YouTube). Pasadena is in Texas.

Last edited:
Q Quito song - Zoe Keating. Quito is the capital of Ecuador. Zoe Keating is a sort of "electric cellist" - who uses sound loops / echoplex gadgets, a bit like John Martyn used to use when playing the guitar. She also can play the cello in a percussive way too, so when playing live, the sound can be almost like a one-woman orchestra (Clip on YouTube)

Last edited:
... by Dionne Warwick
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T 24 Hours from Tulsa - Gene Pitney. Tulsa is in Oklahoma, USA.

... or ... Tallahassee Lassie - Flamin' Groovies. Rockabilly song , originally done by Freddie Cannon. Tallahassee is a town in Texas. (Clip on YouTube)

Last edited: