A-Z Of Songs About Famous People/Characters | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Songs About Famous People/Characters

U ULYSSES S Grant

you're a superhero
Ulysses Grant and Harry Potter too
In 44, you prob'ly beached on Normandy, would you mind
If I was named after you?

I think it was sung by someone called Boy.

or... "Tales of brave ULYSSES" by Cream. Based on the Roman-ised name of the legendary Greek leader Odysseus, who was King of Ithaca. He was the main character in Homer's "Odyssey". I like the song, never read Homer thoough.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

V "Sweet Gene VINCENT" - by Ian Dury and the Blockheads (again). Saw them perform it live. Gene Vincent was a 1950's rock and roller who had a hit with "Be-Bop-A-Lula"

...or... "VINCENT" by Don Maclean - American singer-songwriter's tribute to the artist , Vincent van Gogh

Last edited:
...or.... "WHITE RABBIT" by Jefferson Airplane- refers to the Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass character, plus several other figures from those novels are mentioned. Psychedelic classic! (y)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

X "XERXES" - opera by Handel about the King of Persia who ruled 486-465 BC. Usually performed in Italian. I assume he gets mentioned in it, as he is one of the the main characters! (Never seen it performed)

Last edited:
... or "Faron YOUNG" by indie band Prefab Sprout. In their song about American culture they namechecked the country and western singer who had a hit with "It's four in the morning"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Z "ZEUS" by Eminem . Refers to the Greek God of the sky

... or (unsurprisingly) "ZINEDIN ZIDANE" by Vaudeville Smash . A tribute to the French World Cup hero

Last edited: