A-Z of School | Vital Football

A-Z of School

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
Anything at all to do with school - any school

A ART - I was never any good at drawing or painting but when it came to chose options in the third year it was either Art, Domestic Science or Woodwork. I chose woodwork but my Mum thought I'd chop my fingers off (she was probably right) so then I chose art but my parents couldn't see a future in that. So I ended up doing Domestic Science and learned very little if I'm honest!

C CSE - Certificate of Secondary Education. Wasn't clever enough for GSE's so I took these, though got 3 GSE passes from them (not a clue how that worked!)

G - Gymslip - grey and pleated and every team we were checked that they were long enough!

Wow, Sixpence. I had a gym skirt when we first started at senior school but it soon turned into shorts then joggers!

H Home Bell - everyone's favourite!

The gymslip (I'm older than you!) now called a pinafore dress we wore with a square neck blouse under until the 4th year, then we wore a grey skirt with a shirt and tie.
For games we wore a grey divided skirt. Every term we had to kneel on the hall floor and the games teacher would walk along each row with a tapemeasure and check they were not more than 1 or 2 inches ( can't remember which) from the floor.

I - Inkwell - we had an ink monitor who had to check all the desks and refill any inkwells that weren't full.

Well that would have taken some of the lesson up!

J Junior School - I remember feeling really proud when my writing was deemed good enough to go from a pencil to a pen

Nor mine!

N New Jotter - at the start of every school year we got a 'new jotter' from the cupboard, had a certain smell to it that always had me thinking 'right this is the year I start to work' but usually ended up with doodles all over it within a matter of days!

Q Quiet Time - when I was at Infant school we had to have 'quiet time' laid on these stretchers with itchy blankets - you didn't have to nap but you couldn't speak

S - Shoe bag - had to have a drawstring black bag with my name embroidered on (by my Dad!) to keep 'indoor shoes'