A-Z Of Same Initial | Vital Football

A-Z Of Same Initial

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
This can be anybody, real or fiction, or even any object as long as it has more than one word and all names/words begin with the same letter.....

A Alan Alda - actor I best remember for MASH

I liked MASH
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
B Billy Bunter - The "Fat Owl of the Remove" Greyfriars public school comic character . Also a BBC tv childrens series 1952-61. Possibly a Wednesday fan?

Last edited:
C Colin Clish - I was at the FA Cup replay match v Burnley in 1964 , when he had his leg broken. The Millers were leading at the time and playing well in front of a (dangerously) packed Millmoor crowd. No substitutes back then and we ended up losing 2-3, very unjustly!

Also - Charlie Crickmore , Millers winger (briefly) in the mid-1960's. Played a few games in the same Millers team as Colin Clish in the 1965/66 seasonn

Last edited:
I was thinking of Clish as well for C, Mike!

D Deanna Durbin - my father-in-law's favourite singer/actress. When we were recently cleaning out the bungalow we found a signed 'photo from her for him.

Or... Derek Dalton - Miillers Superfan, who died in 1993. There is a plaque in his honour at the NYS and a section of the stadium, which accommodates disabled fans , has been named after him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E "Eddie" Edwards - British Olympic ski-jumper, "Eddie the Eagle". His real name was Michael Edwards, but that was rarely used by tv and radio commentators or the national press (and that's still the case!)

Last edited:
F - Freddie Flintoff - real name Andrew but as I have very little interest in cricket I have only got to ‘know’ him through his many television appearances where he is always called Freddie. TV programmes include League of our own, Top gear and many more.

Yes, I was thinking of the same name. Seen him play for Lancs against Yorks several times, before he became famous. He was mainly a batsman, who bowled a bit , when I saw him in his early career..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G Gladstone Guest - Millers forward and captain from the 1940's/50's era . I was too young to see him play in the League, but I remember seeing him play in some testimonial games and he always got a great ovation from the fans. 356 appearances for the Millers, 130 goals.
...and more recently Gerry Gow, Millers player from the early 1980's. A tough-tackling, though skillful, midfielder who had an eye for goal too.

Last edited:
or Harry Hart - Rotherham United forward from the 1940's.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I Iain Innes - British junior skiing champion. He's hoping to qualify for the next Olympics.

My mum liked "Ivor Immanuel" Welsh singer and actor. Well, that's how she would have probably spelled his name! :p

Last edited:
Or ... soul singer Johnny Johnson (and the Bandwagon) - had hits with "Sweet inspiration" and "Blame it on the Pony Express"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K Kathy Kirby - Real name Kathleen O'Rouke. Popular 1960's singer and often on tv and radio vairety shows back then. Represented Britain in the Eurovision song contest. The Kinks song "Come Dancing" is belived to be loosely based on her and there have been various plans to make a film about her life. She died in 2011.

I remember having the Kathy Kirby single - Once I had a Secret Love.

L - Looby Loo, Lucy Locket - characters in children’s rhymes
- Linda Lusardi - tv personality (former glamour model,
— Lillie Langtry - actress in the late 1800s!

M Martin McIntosh - Millers captain and rock-solid centre back. Also capable of nodding in a goal at the other end or blasting in a thunderbolt free kick. One of Ronnie Moore's best signings, and just wished we could have signed him a few years earlier in his career.(y)

Also (though not as good) - Mark Monington, Millers central defender.

Last edited:
I had (probably still have somewhere) that Kathy Kirby record too!
Martin Mac was great for the Millers.

N Nicholas Nickleby - book by Charles Dickens

O Olive Oyl - main female character in the "Popeye" comic-strips and animations. I don't remember seeing them , but apparently there were other Oyl family characters in the comic-strips , like her brother Castor Oyl, and other relaitives with daft punning names.

Last edited:
... or Peter Perry - Millers right-back from the early 1960's. Born in Treeton, and played in our League Cup final against Aston Villa.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q Quentin Quail - Warner Brothers Merrie Melodies animated cartoon character from 1946, who never really took off. A bit like Daffy Duck, but nowhere near as manic. There is a clip on YouTube.

S Steve Spooner and Steve Slawson. Both Millers players, but unfortunately for them their names tend to crop up on Millers fans websites/fanzine pages when "Worst ever Millers Elevens" are being discussed. To be fair to Spooner, he had been a decent player for Chesterfield, much earlier in his career (think he even scored against us!)... which probably made it even worse!

Last edited:
T - Terry Thomas - comedian who starred in the first film I ever saw at the ‘pictures’ - Tom Thumb