A-Z Of Rotherham United | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Rotherham United

Saw Swifty's career develop from when he first started playing in the Millers youth team... and he always gave 100 percent even back then. Great servant to the club. Let's hope he gets well soon.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T Tony Stewart - RUFC Chairman. Saved us from having a likely stint in the National League or worse. Some teams like Donny, Luton, Lincoln, Barrow, etc eventually returned to the Football league after relegation and/or financial collapse, but Wrexham and Chesterfield haven't yet , and Bury will take another six years at best. Plus the NYS is a big improvement on the last days of Millmoor.

Last edited:
...or Tivoli End . Home fans end at Millmoor. The Tivoli building, across Masbrough Street, was originally a cinema, then a second hand furniture shop, but is sadly now demolished.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
U "Under a Railway End"... where the away fans used to sit at Millmoor in its final league seasons days. Commemerated in song. Back in the 60s many fans used to switch ends at half time to stand behind the goal that their team was attacking

Last edited:
It must have been a busy place that Railway End with all us Millers being born there!

V VANCE Warner - joined the Millers originally on loan in 1997 and stayed until 2000

W - Paul WARNE (who else?) I have great respect for the man. Despite virtual ridicule at times, he sticks to what he believes.

Also honourable mentions to Danny WILLIAMS, Dave WATSON, Bobby WILLIAMSON - there are lots to choose from
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

X Xmas time for Millers fans... possibly spent opening Millers-related presents, but in the 1950s there were matches played on Xmas Day. Sometimes local derbies were played at home on Xmas Day and then away on Boxing Day (or vice versa) . Last Xmas Day Millers fixture (according to the Gerry Somerton book) was in 1957 and it wasn't even a local derby! Leyton Orient away on Xmas Day (L 2-6 - too much Xmas pud?), followed by the same opposition at Millmoor on Boxing Day (D 2-2). Boxing Day remains a regular football fixture date though - Middesborough away this season.

Last edited:
I 'm rather pleased they don't have them on Christmas Day now to be honest.

Y Jamie Yates - scored that cracking goal against Mansfield Town. Believe he's now player/coach at Sheffield FC

Z - Zak Vyner - never actually a Miller, (only 'Z' I could think of!). Made 34 appearances for us whilst on loan.

I actually thought he was OK, Zeki.

Well, that's another one done - great that everyone has joined in! I shall try and think of another one asap