A-Z Of Rotherham United | Vital Football

A-Z Of Rotherham United

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
It's the start of the season this weekend (sort of) so let's have a go at this one!

It can be anything at all or anyone at all to do with Rotherham United - first names or surnames, things at grounds - anything!

A Ambitious But Brilliant!

... it's Alex Revell

B Brian Tiler . Home grown talent who could play in defence or up front. Millers captain, who went on to play in the top division, and also had success as a manager and football administrator

Last edited:
C - Crawford Alan - played for Rotherham in the 1970’s. A winger who scored goals.

... or Colin Clish - reliable left back, who broke his leg in a famous cup tie against Burnley back in the 60s. Once saw him score at Millmoor from his own half - it was a bit windy that day!

D Derek Dalton - Millers superfan, who is commemerated by a plaque in the New York Stadium, even though he sadly died before our new ground was built. He would have loved the NYS though.

Last edited:
E Eddie Ferguson - played for the Millers in the early 70's. Last I heard of him he was plying his trade in South Africa.

...Quite stylish on the pitch, although never seemed to take the game by the scruff of the neck. He lived in Brinsworth for a while and was sometimes seen having a kickaround on Whitehill playing fields... and I also saw him having a crafty cigarette at the Atlas bus stop. Quite liked him though.

F Freddie Ladapo - good signing so far. Let's hope he can continue to find the net in the Championship.

P Phil HENSON - Promotion-winning Miller as a player and a manager, then an RUFC chief administrator

Last edited:
J John Breckin - Left back who progressed from our youth team ranks. Probably the Millers best ever player in that position. Millers promotion winner as a player and as assistant manager. Now Honorary Life President at RUFC.

Last edited:
L Lol Morgan - local lad, from Eastwood , I believe. Full back/utility defender. Well-known for being able to run backwards at speed, good positioning, and could operate as an overlapping full back when we attacked. League Cup finalist and played in the giant killing of Arsenal FA Cup ties in the 1959/60 season . He also had a successful career as a manager at Darlington (promotion) and Norwich City. Knew my Dad from schooldays/local league football and sometimes gave him complimentary match tickets!

Last edited:
...or Norman "Nobby" Noble, 1950's Millers centre-half. Apparently, he didn't like being called "Nobby" though. Were many brave enough to test that theory?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O - Chiedozie OGBENE . Millers promotion-winner 2019/20. Let's hope that he has a good 2020/21 season too.

... or "Kayode" ODEJAYI - scored on his debut in the first league game at New York Stadium, which ended as a 3-0 victory. Looked good early season and was a promotion-winner with the the Millers, but his NYS career soon fizzled out

Last edited:
Q - Queues! At the turnstiles, for drinks, at the shop - and not likely to improve in the near future.

OR John QUINN - “You’ll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn”🎶

Once joined a queue for FA Cup tickets (v Liverpool at Anfield) that stretched from the Millmoor ticket office right back along Masbrough Street and a distance down the side road at the Moulders Rest. The tickets ran out when I got as far as about ten yards from the ticket office! Luckily , and unexpectedly, Liverpool sent us another batch of tickets. The queue wasn't quite as bad the second time and I finally got my ticket. After all that, we lost 0-3...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R Rotherham United, of course - the Merry Millers!
... featuring the likes of Ronnie Moore, Mark ROBINS, Richard Finney, Rodney Fern, Roy Ironside, Richie Barker, etc.

Last edited:
My sister and I were in that queue too - we were lucky and got tickets.

S Trevor 'Chopper' SWIFT - former skipper who played around three hundred times in a Millers shirt. Understand he's not so well at the moment.