A-Z Of Puzzles | Vital Football

A-Z Of Puzzles

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
Anything at all to do with puzzles of any kind - even where you can find them or what you use to complete them - as usual anything goes!

A A-to-Z - good one to start with!

D "Dingbats" word puzzles. Got its own website and some players-names examples featured in the Warney Millers Mastermind lockdown quizzes

Last edited:
F First Thoughts - something we used to play on the last day of school though if that's it's right name I'm not sure! Someone said a word and you had to put down the first thing you thought of. If you got something different to anyone else you got a point.

Not heard of those Mike.

H 'H' - a wooden puzzle with different pieces that, when put together correctly, form the letter 'H'

L "Puzzle L" - sort of a cross between a jigsaw and Tetris , using coloured L-shaped pieces to make various target pictures and patterns.

Last edited:
N N-puzzles. Classic sliding blocks puzzle, typically on an n x n grid with (n x n)-1 tiles, which must be arranged in the correct order. Most commonly found as the "15 puzzle" with numbers 1-15. There are also pictorial versions. First commercially manufactured in New York in 1879. Various people claimed to have invented it, but the origins of the puzzle are likely to be long before that date

Owned several versions of it when I was a youngster.

Last edited:
I remember having a couple of versions of this too - didn't know it was called an N-puzzle though!

O Odd One Out - my granddaughter likes doing these puzzles

P Polygon word puzzles. Featured in various newspapers, eg the Times, and there are books containing collections of polygon puzzles too. "Wordwheel" is a similar puzzle type.

The puzzle is a polygon shape containing a central panel and other panels surrounding it. Each panel has a letter in it, the central panel may have more than one letter. You have to make as many words as possible incorporating the central panel letter(s) combined with some of the letters in the outer panels (each used only once)

Last edited:
R Rubik's cube. Well-known three-dimensional cubic puzzle, widely avaiable from about 1980 , invented by the Hungarian engineer/ architect Erno Rubik. Original version had a 3x3x3 tile system (9 tiles on each face of the cube). Each face of the cube had just its own colour when the puzzle was completed. He initially used it to teach about algebraic group theory, and the symmetry operations involved are also quite relevant to learning about chemical structures, spectroscopy etc.

Last edited:
T Tangram . Geometric puzzle - set of tiles (usually wooden) made up of five triangles (not all same size) ,a small square and a parallelogram. You use the pieces to make various target shapes (eg big square or oblong), or other patterns , numerals/letters , animals, etc. Thought to have first become widely available in China in the late 1700s and around the world soon after. Design may have been based on sets of Chinese banquetting tables that could be adjusted to fit room shapes/sizes. Never owned a tangram set, but we definitely had some at school