A-Z Of Presents | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Presents

T Topical Times Football Annual - Received several as presents when I was a youngster. They mainly concentrated on the top division, so there was little reference to the Millers, but there were usually some good action photos from matches. Very different in style to the later "When Saturday Comes" and the local fanzines, but quite good in it's day. Amazed to find out that it was still going up right up to the 2000/01 season, and still fairly easy to get old ones via the internet . Also - Charlie Buchan Football Annuals had a similar format.

Last edited:
I always had a few football annuals too - still have my Georgie Best ones somewhere.

U Ukulele - my daughter bought my grandaughter one a couple of Christmas's ago.

V Video games / computer games - I liked the old ones for Sinclair Spectrum and Commodore 64 when I was younger. Bought my brother a football manager Spectrum game one Christmas... and it proved to be surprisingly realistic.

A few weeks later, I had a go on it. In the game, I managed the Millers and (guess what?) , the squad was soon hit by injuries. Some things never change . I had a look at which players were available on the transfer list and signed Andy Flounders (a player who I had never heard of before then) on a cheap loan. A few minutes later , I switched on the Radio Sheffield Sports News... Millers' manager Phil Henson had just signed Andy Flounders on loan from Rochdale!
Just checked - it was the 1992/3 season, and in real life Flounders was brought in on a short loan to cover for an injured Tony Cunningham.

Last edited:
We played hours on the Spectrum - we even made a board for it with a place for the joystick so it didn't keep sliding all over! We had different tape recorders for different games too - took over the whole living room!

Can't go wrong with wine, Sixpence!

X Xylophone - I remember having one and both my children and granddaughter had one too.

Finishing off with...
Z "Z-cars" Matchbox model car - When he was a child, my brother had a Ford Zephyr Matchbox model as a Xmas present, which was like the cars in the TV series (starring a well-known Barnsley fan!) .We had a sloping driveway and used to race our Matchbox car collection down it. Those model cars are still available on eBay.

Last edited:
Well, that's another one done.

And I hope you've all had a good Christmas despite the restrictions. Don't know what people are trying to say but all our gifts have been a form of alcohol or chocs. Though I have had candles - one of those that smells of gin!