A-Z Of Nursery Rhymes | Vital Football

A-Z Of Nursery Rhymes

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
Have we had this before??

Anyway - this can be a rhyme or people in a nursery rhyme - from any country.

A Aiken Drum - who lived on the moon playing upon a ladle.

Don't remember that one!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B Bobby Shaftoe - The song/ rhyme is often associated with NE England, and was possibly written about an MP from County Durham (late 1700s)

Last edited:
Well, I could sing it for you Mike but it probably wouldn't sound anything like it should! And I didn't know that about Bobby Shaftoe!

C Cock-a-doodle-do - the dame who lost her shoe the fiddler lost his fiddling stick too - sounds a bit like this house!

D Doctor Foster - went to Gloucester. First recorded in print in 1810 (slightly different version). That version is believed by some to refer to events which occurred in the 1300s, so may it have been around long before 1810.
"Puddle" may have replaced "piddle" (old word for a stream - and rhymed better) in modern times. The meaning of some words will have changed over the long time span that many nursery rhymes have been around for. Modern version dates from 1840 in print.

Last edited:
... or could have had "Early to bed, early to rise"...
My dad then used to say "Makes you healthy and wealthy, like Morcambe and Wise". Eric Morcambe was a big Luton Town FC fan, and actually died at the relatively young age of 58.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
F For want of a nail - the shoe was lost, for want of a shoe, the horse was lost, etc
Been a popular rhyme since the 14th century, and the sentiments are just as true now.

Last edited:
Isn't it "Incy Wincy Spider"? I know it's a long time ago! Think there could be several siimilar versions
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J Jack and Jill - went up the hill

Last edited:
Isn't it "Incy Wincy Spider"? I know it's a long time ago! Think there could be several siimilar versions
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think you are right, Mike. I'd probably got polka dot bikini's on my mind!!!

O Oranges and Lemons - Say the bells of St. Clements...

The Great Fire of London destroyed several of the churches mentioned in the rhyme, and most still there now are not the original buildings/exact locations.. St Clements is in East London , near to the Thames and has been rebuilt several times. It was close to a wharf where citrus fruit used to be unloaded, hence the lyrics.

I have been in the crypt in St. Martins , off Trafalgar Square, which is normally open for coffee, snacks, etc.. Quite nice down there! Think that the church is a rebuild of the one in the rhyme . The original was close to a site where money-lending/currency exchange took place, hence the lyrics.

"Oranges and lemons" is a very old rhyme, and the churches mentioned were mainly in the old City of London, an area on the north bank of the Thames, a mile or two east of the modern city centre of Trafalgar Square, Oxford Steet, Houses of Parliament, etc. The Tower of London is also out there , which is the reason for the gruesome finish to the rhyme!

Last edited:
Recently watched a documentary about the Plague and the Great Fire and it kept playing 'oranges and lemons' over some of the footage.

P Polly Put The Kettle On

Could have also had "Pop goes the Weasel". I've been in the pub "The Eagle" on City Road mentioned in the rhyme - decent pint too! It was a few years ago, so not sure if it is still there. You would guess that it would be famous enough to be a bit of tourist attraction, but not much sign of that when I visited it. Think it was a rebuild, though could be on the original site. It's location was fairly close to Old Street tube station and on several main bus routes, so easy to get to.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q (The) Queen of Hearts - she baked some tarts...

Last edited: