A-Z Of Nursery Rhymes | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Nursery Rhymes

Seem to remember Pike doing a version of that, with daft actions , in an episode of "Dad's Army", to keep the rest of crew entertained when they were trapped in a cellar. Stupid Boy!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
V "Vio-vio-vio-la" - as we knew it at school, another rhyme with actions (playing musical instruments), atlhough it is officially called "Music Man", or similar . Also has been sung in modified form as a terrace chant. Not sure if a version was ever sung on the Tivoli, but Norwich fans used to sing "Mick, Mick, Mick, Mick, Mick Maguire", about the Canaries midfielder who later became a PFA official.

There is also "Vintery, Mintery" - an American (?) nonsense rhyme . Mentions "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" in it. Think that's where the film title comes from. Never heard anybody saying / singing the rhyme over here though. (It's on YouTube).
Just checked - can't remember it, but apparently at least part of the rhyme is chanted in the film.

Last edited:
W - Wee Willie Winkie - I always loved the illustrations of him wearing his bed-hat and carrying a lantern

Never heard of either of those, Mike, although the Music Man is always a favourite.

Sixpence I loved the fact he wore a 'nightie' to run around town in!

X This has me stumped unless anyone else can come up with one?

Y Yankee Doodle Dandy - who had either a hat or a pony called Macaroni (I never quite knew which) - or, of course, he might have called the feather he stuck in his cap Macaroni.

X "X, Y and Tumbledown Z" is on YouTube. Think it is an American rhyme. Very short and sounds like a jingle off Sesame Street, possibly to teach kids the last bit of the alphabet.

Alternative Y - from Scotland , "Ye cannae shove yer granny off a bus" (Tune - She'll be coming round the mountain")
:balloon:

Last edited:
I actually do know the one about pushing the granny off the bus! LOL

Unless anyone else knows a Z I have one

Z Zoom, Zoom, Zoom
We're going to the moon