A-Z Of Following Initials | Vital Football

A-Z Of Following Initials

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
Now, there may be a posh name for this but I don't know it

So every answer has to have two words - or hyphenated words - and the initials must follow alphabetically eg - A - AB B - BC C - CD etc until we get to Z then it can either be ZA or ZZ

Hope you understand my explanation! Not sure how many we will get but you always surprise me

They can be people, fictional characters or just 'things' as usual, it's for fun so anything goes!

A Alan Ball or Alcoholic Beverage (which we might need when we are trying to find things to fit this!!!) or Anti-Bacterial (something that is in every day use at the moment)

... or Albert Bennett - Millers centre-forward in the 1960's. England U-23 cap whilst with RUFC. Died 2017. Once a Miller, always a Miller
------------------------------------------------------------------------
B Barrie Claxton - Millers coach, scout, caretaker manager, etc. Died in 2012. Once a Miller, always a Miller

Last edited:
C Cadbury's Dairy Milk (cheating with three words already!)

or Colin Dexter, the crime writer or Christopher Dean the ice skater

D Dave Edmunds - Welsh rock musician, singer, songwriter and producer. He had several hit singles (eg "I hear you knocking", "I knew the bride", etc. ). Saw him play live with his band, Rockpile . (y)

Last edited:
E Eddie Ferguson - Millers Scottish midfield player of the early 1970's. Often ended up playing out of position in McAnearney's team, which managed to aciheve relegation, even when it looked almost impossible! Used to see him around in Brinsworth (where he lived ) occasionally back then.

or... Eddie Firmani - probably best known as a player, and later, manager of Charlton Athletic. He also played for Sampdoria and Inter Milan, and managed various other teams in England and abroad. He must have visited Millmoor several times, though I don't recall noticing him.

Last edited:
F Fred Gee
Former character in Coronation Street, played by Fred Feast.

Fred Feast used to run/own a pub in Hunmanby.
Went in there for a meal many moons ago, and was served by the man himself.

... or Freddie Garrity, leader of 60's pop group Freeddie & the Dreamers
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G Graham Hill - Fomula One motor racing world champion (1962 & 1968)

Last edited:
I got a bit stuck on that one. All I had was HI, hydrogen iodide, a colourless hydrogen halide gas.

We have only played Wealdstone once (FA Cup tie in 2009, which we won 3-2) and he didn't play in that game - he was only about 12 years old at the time!
Think he is still under contract to Luton Town, but was out on loan to Wealdstone for his third stint there in 2020/21.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I Inigo Jones (1573-1652) - Famous architect and designer of gardens, stage sets and costumes.

or... Indiana Jones - fictional archeology professor . Character played by Harrison Ford in the Steven Spielberg adventure film series Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc.

Last edited:
J Joshua Kayode - young Rotherham United forward, Rep. Ireland U-21 international, and yet to make his league debut for the Millers. Maybe he will get his chance to do that soon, after impressing whilst out on loan over the last couple of seasons.

K - Kim Leadbetter sister of Jo Cox( the murdered MP) now standing in the Batley bi-election

...or... Ken Loach - award-winning British film director. Initially rose to fame with "Cathy come home" , a play about homelessness , shown on BBC tv ,and has made many cinema films including "Kes", "Hidden agenda", "Land and freedom", "Riff raff" , etc .(y)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

L Lol Morgan - Millers full-back from the 1960's. Played in the Millers League Cup Final team v Aston Villa. I met him several times when with my dad, who was one of his friends from their younger days. Legend has it that part of Lol's training was running backwards at speed, a trick used to jockey opposing wingers wide down the touchline and often causing them to take the ball harmlessly out of play . He was later a successful manager, with Darlington (got them promoted) and also Norwich City.

Last edited:
Think you mean Michael Nesmith!

...or... Mark Nicholas.. Hampshire cricketer from late 1980's/early 1990's and now tv and radio cricket commentator.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N Norman O'Neill - Australian test batsman from late 1950's/mid-1960's. Saw him play on tv in an Ashes series . O'Neill was playing in the test match at The Oval when Fred Trueman took his 300th wicket in 1964. Never saw him play "live" though.

Last edited:
... or Ollie Pope - current Surrey and England batsman. Seen him play against Yorkshire - he usually does well against us.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P Paul Quinn - Scottish centre-back who played for various Scottish teams, plus Cardiff City and Doncaster Rovers. Capped by Scotland at U-21 level. Released by Dundee United at the end of the 2017/18 season.

Last edited:
Q Quentin Roosevelt - younger son of the President and is the only son of an American President to die in combat.

Didn’t know that!

Ringo Starr - drummer and occasional solo singer with the Beatles. Narrator of Thomas the Tank Engine......BUT .... his greatest claim to fame - my daughter named one of my dogs after him! lol.

... real name Richard Starkey - so he counts twice over
-----------------------------------------------------------
S Steve Thompson - popular Millers midfied player during 1997-2000. We signed him from Leicester City. 106 appearances , 14 goals for us. Has also been viewed by many Millers fans as a possible future coach or manager. No idea if he would fancy a return though.

or... Stewart Talbot - another popular Millers midfielder (2000-2004, 114 league appearances, 8 goals) Great signing from Port Vale by Ronnie Moore , but injuries caught up with him in the end. In a TalkSport Radio interview, Martin "Mad Dog" Allen once described Stewart Talbot as the "hardest" player he had played alongside.

Last edited:
Re Roosevelt, we once went to a 'big house' and there was a lot of info about him and his connection with Britain and him and his three children came to England then there was a follow-up about his young son and of his death. I did check I'd remembered it right though! And I have no idea which house we were in when I read about it!

T Teddy Sheringham although I presume he's really Edward?

so maybe

the lovely

Tommy Steele (though wasn't his surname Hicks?)

so perhaps

Tessa Sanderson