A-Z Of First Lines | Vital Football

A-Z Of First Lines

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
This can be anything from anywhere - quote, advert, poem, verse - anything goes!

A A finger of fudge is just enough to give the kids a treat - advert for fudge

B Black night, is not right. I don't feel so bright- "Black night" , song by Deep Purple

Last edited:
C - Climb every mountain - Julie Andrews in Sound of Music. I remember going to Leeds to watch it and queueing outside.

D Dree-ee-eam, Dream, Dream, Dream - "All I have to do is dream", song by the Everly Brrothers
...or... Dirty old river, must you keep rolling - "Waterloo Sunset", song by the Kinks

Last edited:
F Frosty the snowman was a happy jolly soul - "Frosty the snowman", song by the Ronettes. A bit unseasonal, I know, but it is on the Phil Spector Christmas album.

...or ... Falling in love again, what am I to do - English version of "Falling in love again" , song by Marlene Dietrich. The lyrics are not a literal translation of the German original. Once saw Kevin Ayres perform a whimsical rendition of the English version of the song. (See YouTube clip). He could probably have sung the original German version too, as he could speak several languages..

Last edited:
G Get your motor running, get out on the highway - "Born to be wild" , song by Steppenwolf. Motorbiking classic.

Last edited:
Love that song.

H How do I love thee? Let me count the ways - Elizabeth Barrett Browning poem of the same title

I Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? - "Bohemian Rhapsody" - operatic-style rock song by Queen. Number one hit for them.

... or ... (just heard it playing in Tesco!) ... I don't care if Monday's blue -"Friday I'm in love" , indie-type song by the Cure. First line lyrics must surely be an oblique reference to the well-known New Order song (?). Cure frontman, Robert Smith, was born on the same day as my brother.

Last edited:
J - Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, I’m begging of you please don’t take my man. - Dolly Parton.

Such a prolific song writer - over 5,000 - lots of very famous people have had hits with songs she has written!

She visited Rotherham in 2007 to promote a child literacy project.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

K King, where are your people now? - "King", song by UB40. Reggae hit that was a tribute to Martin Luther King.

Last edited:
L Love is like a butterfly as soft and gentle as a sigh - theme tune to TV Series Butterfly and another song by Dolly

M My girl's mad at me. I didn't wanna see the film tonight - "My girl", song by Madness

Last edited:
N - Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this son of York.

Opening line of Shakespeare’s Richard lll.

O On the road again. Just can't wait... "On the road again" , song by Willie Nelson. Country and western touring song (Clip on YouTube)

Q Quand le soleil dit bonjour aux montagnes - from the song of the same name by Lucille Starr, which was a French-Canadian country and western hit in 1964. Also known as "The French song" (Clip on YouTube). Don't think that she was related to Ringo.

Last edited:
... from song of same name, and I seem to remember was often sung by Andy Stewart on tv on New Year's Eve/Hogmanay in the 1960's. "Gloamin(g)" means twilight/gloom, so possibly not advisable at that time of the year, given the likely weather conditions in Scotland!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
S So this is Xmas, and what have you done - "Happy Xmas (War is over)", song by John Lennon & Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono band. A bit unseasonal at the moment, but it fits.

Last edited: