A-Z Of Fictional Detectives/Shows | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Fictional Detectives/Shows

Q (Detective) Quigley - character in the Dublin Murder Squad novels by Tana French, and made into a BBC 1 series. Don't think I have seen it on tv.

Did think of Qunicy - American tv series in which Jack Klugman played the main role, but his job was that of police forensic expert, and not actually a detective, from what I remember.

Last edited:
I read all the Miss Marple books and have seen most of the programmes on TV. Never got on with Poirot books although have watched the films and TV dramas.

Q Mr Harley QUIN - another of Agatha Christie's detectives

S Sexton Blake - originally a British comic strip detective story. Later, in the 1960s, it was made into a tv series by ITV , with Laurence Payne in the title role

Last edited:
Ohh, I thought he was a policeman!!!

U - a bit of a cheat!

(Sister) Ursula - she was going to go into the Police and in one of HH Holmes books said - 'I was planning to be a policewoman myself when my health broke down and I was forced to change my plans". So it is not a complete surprise when she says, "I am going to find the murderer .... You see, I am not inexperienced in detection. The Mother Superior was quite astonished when I proved what had been happening to the sacramental wine. And then there was that little business of vandalism when someone slashed the missal which Sister Perpetua was illuminating.'

So as I can't think of another U she might have to do!

Could have had Detective Hailey Upton from Chicago PD (US tv series, which started in 2014)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
V Van der Valk - Detective Simon "Piet" Van der Valk, created by Nicolas Freeling. Stories based around Amsterdam. Series started on ITV in 1972 and has been "revived" with different casts, several times since. Title character was originally played by Barry Foster. The theme tune, "Eye Level", was also a number one single in the UK!

Last edited:
I've not seen Chicago PD, Mike, will try and catch it.

W William Murdoch - from Murdoch mysteries. I quite like this as it's light hearted but it always seems to be filmed somewhere dark.

X Xavier March -detective, who is the main character in in the alternative history novel "Fatherland" by Robert Harris. There has been a BBC Radio 4 broadcast series , based on the book

I think it’s Magnum PI (private investigator)

Y - IllYa KurYakin - Secret Agent in The Man from Uncle series.

Cheating - but best I could think of, I’m afraid.

or alternatively...
Detective Gregory "Yo-yo" Yoyonovich from the 1976 US tv comedy detective duo series "Holmes and Yo-yo". Alex Holmes was an accident prone cop , and Yo-yo was a secret prototype police-android, with a few technical faults that hadn't been completely resolved, and often needed adjustment!
Seen a few episodes on YouTube - quite funny. I don't remember ever seeing it on British tv. It's a bit like "Get Smart", and possibly "Police Squad", or even "My Favourite Martian". Some critics pointed out Yo-Yo's similarity to a Maxwell Smart robot assistant, but I don't recall ever seeing those "Get Smart" episodes, which might not have been shown on British tv. I can only remember Agent 99 (who wasn't a robot) as Smart's assistant.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Z Aurelio Zen. Main character in Italy-based detective novels written by Michael Dibdin. Also dramatised in BBC tv series "Zen"

Last edited: