A-Z Of Fictional Detectives/Shows | Vital Football

A-Z Of Fictional Detectives/Shows

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
This can be any detective in books or TV or film - first or last names or nicknames - or the shows they are in

A Adrian Monk - read books and seen some of the series on TV. Monk has OCD and works for the San Francisco Police.

B Bergerac - 1980s (roughly) BBC tv detective series, based around the character Jim Bergerac and set in Jersey.

Last edited:
D Dalziel and Pascoe -Detective Andy Dalziel (played by Warren Clarke) featured in this BBC tv series.
Also thought of "Dixon of Dock Green", but George Dixon wasn't actually a detective, although his son-in-law was. Been in the Dock Green Inn in Leeds, which was an ex-police station and had a picture of Dixon on the pub sign. Think it closed a few years ago.
Screenshot_2021-02-14 The Dock Green, Leeds.jpg

Last edited:
H Harry Callahan - played by Clint Eastwood, in the 1971 American film "Dirty Harry" (not to be confused with the bloke who managed the Blades! ) :p

Last edited:
LOL

Just finished watching Bosch on some channel or other - his first name was Harry too.

Come to a bit of a full stop with I

So will have to have

I Inspector Gadget - although not really a detective I don't suppose

J John Rebus - "Inspector Rebus" books and BBC tv series. The books were written by Ian Rankin, and the action is based in the Edinburgh area.

LOL

Just finished watching Bosch on some channel or other - his first name was Harry too.

Not seen the tv series but read and enjoyed some of the books by Michael Connelly. Bosch’s first name was actually Hieronymous (which he hated - can’t imagine why!!) His mother liked the Dutch painter of the same name.

K - Kay Scarpetta character in Patricia Cornwell’s books. Was a medical examiner but did a lot of the police’s work for them!

D Dalziel and Pascoe -Detective Andy Dalziel (played by Warren Clarke) featured in this BBC tv series.
Also thought of "Dixon of Dock Green", but George Dixon wasn't actually a detective, although his son-in-law was. Been in the Dock Green Inn in Leeds, which was an ex-police station and had a picture of Dixon on the pub sign. Think it closed a few years ago.
View attachment 46102
Looks like the 'Boro lion' up at the top.

L- Lisa Armstrong (main character in 'the bay')

Think it's the Cameron's Brewery logo on the pub
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
M Montalbano, Salvo. Inspector Montalbano Italian detective series shown on BBC 4 , based on novels written by Andrea Camilleri. Features quriky characters, black humour and, on tv, impressive views of Sicily too.

Last edited:

I didn't know that about Bosch's first name, or if I did I'd forgotten! We sort of binged watched the series' and they are making a seventh which is going to be the last one.

Think it's the Cameron's Brewery logo on the pub
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
M Montalbano, Salvo. Inspector Montalbano Italian detective series shown on BBC 4 , based on novels written by Andrea Camilleri. Features quriky characters, black humour and, on tv, impressive views of Sicily too.

Not seen that one, Mike

I didn't know that about Bosch's first name, or if I did I'd forgotten! We sort of binged watched the series' and they are making a seventh which is going to be the last one.

I didn’t know about this series, but I generally prefer to read the books than watch the tv versions. I am absorbed by books I enjoy - not so with tv even if I like what I am watching!

P - Poirot, Hercule has to be David Suchet’s portrayal with his oh so short strides! Agatha Christies most well known detective or was that Miss Marple??