A-Z Of Farms | Vital Football

A-Z Of Farms

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
Went to a farm with my Granddaughter yesterday morning so let's see if we can get something on this for every letter! It can be anything at all to do with farms, farming, TV programmes about farming, children's farms, proper farms . . . . .

A Alpaca - I fed my first Alpaca yesterday! Anyone who knows me will tell you I was very brave! as I don't really 'do' animals.

... or "Animal Farm" - novel by George Orwell
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B Brecks Lane Farm - dairy farm in Rotherham area

C Cold Comfort Farm - Comic novel by Stella Gibbons. Also a tv film, starring Eileen Atkins, Kate Beckinsale, Stephen Fry , etc. Haven't read the novel or seen the tv film, though I have heard extracts read on the radio.

Last edited:
E Egg plant/aubergine farmer - the most famous probably being Dirk van Duijvenbode, the Dutch darts player. He often features in the top televised darts tournaments . He is still has his farm though and always takes an an eggpalnt/ aubergine to the tournaments with him, for luck

Last edited:
... or the Farmers Boys - early 1980s indie-type band from Norwich, their records often played by John Peel. Around at the same time as the Higsons, and Serious Drinking, who were also based in Norwich
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G "Green Revolution" - Third agricultural revoluton, in the period 1950s-1960s. Farming methods featured new high yielding varieties, synthetic fertilisers, new irrigation methods and technologies, etc

Last edited:
Or "Jollity Farm" as recorded by the Bozo Dog Doo Dah Band
---------------------------------------------------------------------
K Kilnhurst Hall Farm. Poultry farm in Rotheham area

Last edited:
P "Pig farming in Patagonia" - was the working title of a Kevin Ayres compilation album. His record company later decided to change the name to something more commercial, before it was released as "Odd ditties". Quite a good album.

Not sure if this is right because I can't find any mention of it anywhere, but

Q Quibbles/Quibbals/Quibals Farm in or around Kimberworth

almost sure we used to go there for eggs when I was younger

But, I might have made it up!!!

Also ...quail farm/Quail Ale.... back in the early 1980s there was a Rotherham area company that commercially farmed quails and brewed Quail ale. Think that the farm and brewery were actually just over the border in North Notts. Remember drinking Quail Ale in the Phoenix Social Club in Brinsworth, although it was not widely available in Rotherham generally. They may have served cooked quail in the Phoenix restaraunt, but if they did, I never had any. The quail enterprise only lasted a couple of years. The beer was quite good.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R Rockingham House Farm, Rawmarsh -Commercial livery stables and riding school

Last edited:
S Smallage farm and Equestrian centre - behind Aston Comp. I had to run past it lots of times on cross-country runs at school in the late 60s/early 70s. Think it was a pig and dairy farm back then, although you couldn't see into it very clearly from the road. The cows did occassionally block our route! Never saw any pigs or horses though.

Last edited:
T Tractors - Can't have a farm without a tractor or two can you! Neil Warnock's favourite mode of transport I seem to remember!