A-Z Of Christmas! | Vital Football

A-Z Of Christmas!

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
It's Christmaaaasssss!

Sorry but it has to be done!

Anything to do with this time of the year.

A Away In A Manger - a Christmas carol

B Brussels sprouts - typically part of a traditional Christmas dinner. Often some December scare stories in the tabloid press about shortages of them... which never actually happens. In fact, usually, loads of them end up in the supermarket bargain bins ! I will eat a few, but prefer broccoli, given the choice

Last edited:
We've actually had sprouts today - I can eat most veg as long as it has gravy and/or white sauce on!

C Christmas Tree - would it be Christmas without a tree? Not got mine up yet - actually, in the first lockdown I had a clean round in the cupboards and moved things and I've yet to remember where I put it!

Oh digger that seems sad - I find myself smiling when I look at my tree and decorations! I love to see outside lights!

E - Eating - far too much!

F Figgy pudding - old name for Chistmas pudding, and mentioned in several Christmas carols/songs. Similarly "plum pudding". The names are generic for puddings that contain dried fruit.

I found a new way of cooking sprouts - throw them in the oven and put bacon bits in with them - really liked them!

G Gift Tags - note to self, do not buy gift tags next year that need the cotton threading through them, my fingers are not made for little fiddly jobs like that!

H Holly - evergreen shrub which is mentioned in various Christmas carols /songs. Has been used as a Winter fesitival decoration since ancient times . Still handy for homemade Xmas decorations ( an old favourite of "Blue Peter"), but be careful, kids- those spikey leaves are sharp!

Last edited:
The old Blue Peter Advent Candles - that's when you knew it was nearly Christmas.

I Ivy - to go with the Holly!

J Joyeux Noel! - " Merry Xmas!" in French
It's also the title of a film about the Xmas Day truce in WW1

Last edited:

Yes, wouldn't be able to do it with these plastic ones we have now. We used to use the metal ones for mending our toilet once a year - no metal hangers so had to have a new loo!

M Mistletoe - evergreen hemiparasitic plant with white berries. It's use to brighten up Winter festivals goes back to ancient times. Associated with fertility/ kissing, etc, but probably best employed for decorative purposes only this year! Mistletoe varieties have differing amounts of toxic chemicals in their berries, so don't eat them! Probably won't kill an adult, but definitely don't let toddlers or pets munch them.

Last edited:
M Mistletoe - evergreen hemiparasitic plant with white berries. It's use to brighten up Winter festivals goes back to ancient times. Associated with fertility/ kissing, etc, but probably best employed for decorative purposes only this year! Mistletoe varieties have differing amounts of toxic chemicals in their berries, so don't eat them! Probably won't kill an adult, but definitely don't let toddlers or pets munch them.

My Mum always had plastic mistletoe all over the house when I was young - said it was good luck! Now I know!

Oh digger that seems sad - I find myself smiling when I look at my tree and decorations! I love to see outside lights!

E - Eating - far too much!

We quite like driving around , looking for Christmas lights on the outside of houses - i like to photograph them.
But decorations and trees are just summat we dont bother with - we still enjoy our time off over christmas -not that i get much, it's especially busy this year- sometimes we go to our 'local' RSPCA and walk some of their dogs.

Q - Queen's Speech