A-Z Of Beards | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Beards

... or Grigori Rasputin. Shady, bearded mystical faith-healer/religious and political advisor to the Russian royal family, the Romanovs, in the early 1900's. With their dynasty on the verge of being overthrown, it was the kind of "advice" that would accidentally only make them even more unpopular with the public (not an easy achievement at the time!) . Boney M had a hit single song that was about him.
He was a sort of a cross between Eileen Drewery and Dominic Cummins , only worse and with a beard.
:balloon:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
S Steven Spielberg - bearded US film director (Close encounters of the third kind, Schindler's list, etc.).

Last edited:
I got most of my Rasputin information from Boney M!

T Terminal Beard - apparently a beard can only grown to a certain length depending on who you are so Terminal Beard is the usual name for when it won't grow any longer. Terminal hair is also the darker of two hair types that make up a beard.

Gordon Google is very interested in beards!

Or there is Triton the King in The Little Mermaid who has long beard

U Ulysses S. Grant - Bearded American military leader and also USA president 1869-1877. Has had various US navy ships/submarines named after him.

Last edited:
or... Anthony van Dyck - (1599-1641) fairly well known Flemish painter, who also famously combined a moustache and goatee to make a "Van Dyke" beard.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

W Father William (Younger) - logo from Younger's brewery. The cartoon originated in the 1920's. Old man with a long white beard wearing a grey top hat, jacket, waistcoat, and tartan trousers. Pint of beer in one hand and walking cane in the other. The slogan was "I'm getting Younger every day!" A popular commercial image, and still in use after about a century.

Last edited:
X Xabi Alonso - bearded (or sometimes "stubbled") Spanish midfielder who played for Real Sociedad, Liverpool, Real Madrid, and Bayern Munich. Now manager of Real Sociedad "B" team.

Good choice ! :balloon:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's plenty of choices for "Z" for once!

Z Zeus - bearded God from Greek mythology. I have been to the cave in Crete, where , according to the legend, he was born.

... also Zebedee , jack-in-the-box moustached character from BBC TV's Magic Roundabout. It was originally a French tv show (Le Manege Enchante) - so toddlers in the UK were probably a bit perplexed when Florence, Dougall, etc, sometimes started singing in French!

and ... Frank Zappa - bearded American rock guitarist, and multi-instrumentalist , singer, songwriter, avant-garde composer, anti-censorship campaigner, etc.

Last edited:
I'd have gone for ZZ Top.

Well that's another done - did we realise how many people had beards?!

Thanks to all for joining in !

Wonderful beards in ZZ Top!!
When the band was approx 10 years old they took 2 years out from music and just didn’t shave!
The drummer who is clean-shaven is called Frank BEARD!

( there was a programme on tv about them recently.)

Years ago in Bournemouth we were on the beach and these three fellows turned up with guitars and started to play for everyone but before they played they attached long beards - to be fair the beards were better than the music!

Lol!

Sand, sun, ‘refreshment’(!) and music!! What more could you want. Although it sounds as if the sound of the sea may have been preferable!

I'll be honest when I'm on a beach I want peace and quiet so I can listen to the sea - but that's just me being stuffy I think!

We always used to have a day at the coast in the winter. A bracing walk along the promenade with not many people about. The waves crashing into the sea wall or onto the road! Loved it.