A-Z Of America | Vital Football

A-Z Of America

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
Given the date I thought we'd try this one.

It can be anything American - expressions, words, places, people - anything, as usual, goes!

A (The) Adams Express Building is in New York - did a bus tour of NY a few years ago and this building was pointed out with the story that when someone took it over in the 80's engineers went into the basement and discovered goldfish living in a pool of water there and to this day it is part of the engineers job to feed them. The building has tons and tons and tons of steel as a structure and I the guide seemed to think that it came from Yorkshire.

B Burgers - American-style fast food eg as sold by Burger King (mentioned in a Ramones song), MacDonalds, Wendy's , etc. Burger King in Rotherham town centre is still boarded up.

Last edited:
F Federal Bureau of Investigation -The F.B.I. . US federal investigative and intelligence agency. Several "F.B.I." tv crime series have been based on it.

Last edited:
G - Ground Zero, New York. The name given to the area around the World Trade Centre where the 9/11 memorial is situated.

H 'Houston, we have a problem' - said by Astronaut Jack Swigert to NASA Mission Control Centre in Houston during the Apollo 13 flight. Although, apparently, he firstly said, 'Okay, Houston, we've had a problem here' and when asked to repeat Jim Lovall then said, ''Ah, Houston, we've had a problem' - so, actually, nobody really said those words but it's a phrase we all use. (Usually on a Saturday between 3 and 5!)

J JFK - John F. Kennedy . US Democrat President who was assassinated in Dallas (see earlier post) in 1963.

Last edited:
K Kemper Arena in Missouri - named after the person who donated (the most?) money towards it, R Crosby Kemper senior. It was built in 1970 for indoor sports such as basketball and hockey, the roof collapsed nine years later but no one was in at the time. It now goes under sponsorship name of Hy-Vee Arena.

M Massachusetts - 7th smallest state in USA. Also title of a hit single by the BeeGees in 1967. It was originally written as a song for The Seekers to perform.

Last edited:
Oooooooo klahoma!

P Pennsylvania (and I always want to add 65000!) - Pittsburgh, the steel city, is in Pennsylvania and their American Football team is called the Steelers. (I wonder if the town next door goes around telling everyone that 'really 'we' are the steel 'city'!)

Q Quick Draw McGraw - American cartoon horse cowboy character. Shown on tv in the 1960's - one from the Hanna-Barbera stable.

S - S
Oooooooo klahoma!

P Pennsylvania (and I always want to add 65000!) - Pittsburgh, the steel city, is in Pennsylvania and their American Football team is called the Steelers. (I wonder if the town next door goes around telling everyone that 'really 'we' are the steel 'city'!)

Lol!

We stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania with the phone no. 65000 in New York!