A-Z of Alliteration | Page 3 | Vital Football

A-Z of Alliteration

Q "Quando, quando, quando" - Italian bossa nova type pop song from the early 1960's. A hit in italy and the UK. Recored by many, including Connie Francis, Pat Boone, Englebert Humperdinck, Cliff Richard, Michael Buble, etc

Following Mike on Q we have similarly for R either
Row, Row, Row (1912) song by W.Jerome and J. Monaco, or more famously the Nursery Rhyme
Row, Row, Row Your Boat
Or equally famous
Run, Rabbit, Run! by Flanagan & Allen

My hat will be off to anyone who can score a 4.

Last edited:
... or... "Run, Run, Rudolph" - Chuck Berry rock'n'roll Xmas song (only a "3" though). Covered by many, including the Foo Fighters, Keith Richards, punk band Slaughter and the Dogs, members of Man (see previous"N" post), the Muppet show band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Lulu, etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
S Slattery's Sligo Sago Saga - unfinished novel by Irish writer Flann O'Brien. I have read it - it is a satirical novel about the influence of US business leaders and politicians on Ireland. The book was originally written as a dig at the Kennedys, but the author died before experiencing the Bush family, Clintons or Trump - who would have probably been the source of even more hilarious material! The novel was later adapted as the stage play- "Slattery's Sago Saga".

Last edited:
A good 4 there, Mike. Can't match that but I have two 3s.
On The Sunny Side Of The Street - Louis Armstrong
Sixteen Shells From A Thirty-Ought Six - Tom Waits

T Top of the pops - BBC top 20 pop music singles show for "2"... or "Try, Try Try", song by Julian Cope, for "3". See both in one cilp on YouTube!

...or "Take the A train" - Duke Ellington

Not spotted a "4" though

Last edited:
T Top of the pops - BBC top 20 pop music singles show for "2"... or "Try, Try Try", song by Julian Cope, for "3". See both in one cilp on YouTube!

...or "Take the A train" - Duke Ellington

Not spotted a "4" though
Haha! I have spotted two, one of which may be a 5.

They are -
Tiptoe Thru The Tulips by Tiny Tim aka Tip Toe Thru The Tulips

There Is A Tavern In The Town - Rudy Vallee and many since.

We used to sing "There's a tavern in the town" in class at Brinworth Junior School. I should have got that one... Also there was a football version sung at Millmoor, about one of our local rival clubs! :p

U - a sixer!!!! Um, Um, Um, Um, Um, Um sung by Major Lance, written by Curtis Mayfield, 1964. Despite daft title this is a really good song

Caz , your information was correct -it was by Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, not Dave Dee, etc.(y)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

V "Very, very, very" - by South Korean K-Pop girl-group I.O.I. (Clip on YouTube)

There is a "V.V.V.V." football club, that has released a club song called "Clublied VVV-Venlo" (Clip on YouTube). Venlo have been up and down a few times between the top two divisions in the Netherlands. Their full name is Venlose Voetbal Vereniging , Venlo. The town is in an industrial area , which is close to the German border. The reason that I know this is because years ago at work one of my colleagues ,who was on a study/research placement, was from that location and was a Venlo football fan. From what he told me, they seemed to be a bit like the Millers.

I think that the official Venlo club name is a bit complicated because, for legal reasons, they had to distinguish between the current version of the club and a previous version that had gone bust. It would be a bit like us having to change our name to something like "Rotherham United Football Club, Borough of Rotherham".

Last edited: