A-Z Historical TV Series | Page 4 | Vital Football

A-Z Historical TV Series

W - I fall foul of title in my preferred selection which would have been William Tell but the 1958-9 production was called The Adventures of William Tell. Conrad Phillips, Jennifer Jayne and Willoughby Goddard as the evil Landburger Gessler! So we must think of another W. Any ideas?

Alternative W - Wives and Daughters 1999 four part BBC based on 1864 novel by Elizabeth Gaskell but set in early part of the century.

Well I'm stumped on X. I had heard of a TV series called Xerxes and thought it was about the Persian Emperor but it's not; it's a Scandinavian comedy or something.:surrender:

Hm, it's a bit of a stretch perhaps but though it's fantasy it is set in ancient Greece and other historical places - Xena, Warrior Princess 1995-2001.:unsure:

Y You Are There - an historical educational series, more than drama, which Paul Newman featured in one episode as Brutus.
As Julius Caesar might have said, "Et tu, Caz!" I had never heard of this series but it sounds very interesting and definitely qualifies. Some top stars including as well as Paul Newman, James Dean and Rod Steiger. I shall look for this on dvd.

Z - I wanted an African slant but Zulu was a film not a series and the TV series comes under S - Shaka Zulu. Only other things I could see are Polish TV series!
I think it was originally for schools.

I mean, we had 'singing together' when I was at school, not quite the same thing.
I fell in love with the Sweet Lass of Richmond Hill in Singing Together but my affections may not have been reciprocated.

Disappointing but all I could find was stuff from China, Poland and Bulgaria! There was a 1998 series called Zig Zag Tudor Life but no idea what it was. There was also Zero Hour - dramatisations of historic events but all too recent.

Well, two Zs came to me. Both are Westerns. Zorro late 1950s series set in early nineteenth century Los Angeles. Zane Grey Theatre 1956-1961 weekly series based on novels and stories of Zane Grey. Introduced by Dick Powell and loads of big name stars featured.

Well, that's another A-Z done and dusted. A few that didn't feature but I enjoyed watching were Vikings, The Tudors, Rome and I, Claudius.