A very sad time | Vital Football

A very sad time

sminky

Vital Football Hero
I have not posted on here for a very long time. It has been a very stressful and difficult period for my Norfolk family and for us here in Birmingham. Yesterday my niece ( some of you may have met her in pre match pubs) lost her 59 year old mum to this evil virus after a five week battle In The James Pages, Gorleston. She was my brother’s wife for 17 of the 34 years I knew her and my sister-in-law, who remained a dear friend all these years. You hear and read about all the worrying statistics day after day, but it really hits home when it is “one of your own”. She was a few months younger than me. I really haven’t given much thought to football. Right now I don’t care whether the season ends or not......this kind of tragedy really puts life into perspective.

So sorry to hear that sminky. We see daily statistics; numbers testing positive, numbers in hospital and numbers who have died. The reality hits hard when one of that number is someone who is close to you.

We feel very sad for you. Please let this be over soon so you can get on with your life without constantly worrying about those around you. If there is anything we can do, you know where we are.

So sorry to hear that sminky. We see daily statistics; numbers testing positive, numbers in hospital and numbers who have died. The reality hits hard when one of that number is someone who is close to you.

We feel very sad for you. Please let this be over soon so you can get on with your life without constantly worrying about those around you. If there is anything we can do, you know where we are.

Thank you Rex. The fact that my brother can't even be with his daughter to console her makes it worse.

Sincerest condolences Sminks, our thoughts are with you and your family. Big hug from down under

Thanks Steve. The first time I met her 34 years ago as 25 year olds, she picked me up and drove me to Carrow Road. I recall we watched Norwich play West Ham. I don't think she even liked football, but my brother thought it would be a good way for us to get to know each other. She was a nurse working at the James Paget ironically where she passed away.

That is terrible news Sminky and my condolences to you and your family.
I have not seen your niece and brother for a long time ( too long really )
but can only imagine the difficult time they must be going through.

I have been on phone a lot recently to family / friends / work colleagues
and we have all agreed that although there is a lot of worry about work / finance /
future for us all, we all appear to be almost taking for granted that we are all
healthy up to now. That is why it is difficult to think about losing a loved one and I am very sad for you to experience that grief.

I agree that football is unimportant and the longer we have to endure this terrible disease the more unimportant and pointless it all seems.

Take care and give my regards to your brother.

Last edited:
That is terrible news Sminky and my condolences to you and your family.
I have not seen your niece and brother for a long time ( too long really )
but can only imagine the difficult time they must be going through.

I have been on phone a lot recently to family / friends / work colleagues
and we have all agreed that although there is a lot of worry about work / finance /
future for us all, we all appear to be almost taking for granted that we are all
healthy up to now. That is why it is difficult to think about losing a loved one and I am very sad for you to experience that grief.

I agree that football is unimportant and the longer we have to endure this terrible disease the more unimportant and pointless it all seems.

Take care and give my regards to your brother.

Thank you DG. I will do. Having taken a step back yesterday, I have tried to get my head around work and our tuition business today so having something to focus on certainly helps. I spent a lovely day with my Norfolk family in Norwich only just over 6 weeks ago albeit the Southampton match was postponed. We made the best of the time we had together and my niece was clearly very concerned more about her Dad's health (given precious cancer treatment years ago), little knowing her mum would be cruelly taken. I remember her announcing that day there had been 21 deaths records in the UK. My God that really makes you seriously realise what has happened here.

Be strong sminky, so sad to hear this. As others have said football should really out of respect be cancelled, time to reflect on loved ones lost not entertainment.

Be strong sminky, so sad to hear this. As others have said football should really out of respect be cancelled, time to reflect on loved ones lost not entertainment.

Thanks Forever Yellow. I agree with you. I think it will be hard for many supporters of all clubs to reconnect with this season. Sadly, too much has happened and too many lives lost. Hope you and yours are well.

That’s really sad to hear Sminky. My condolences also to you and your family. Like you say, football just seems irrelevant at this time.