2017-18 Season Views | Vital Football

2017-18 Season Views

pompeyrug

Alert Team
A Successful Campaign

In the wake of defeat at Bradford Kenny Jackett made it clear he had been looking for Pompey to finish in the top-six this season; not that failing to achieve this constitutes, well, failure.

Click here for more

Last edited:
Well i enjoyed the season and am glad we didn't get promoted, currently hate the thought of struggling in the Championship, (we would), extra policing, higher ticket costs and the bleedin International breaks stopping the flow of matches.
Kenny J has never been a shouter, shouting works until the players get fed up with it, I watched Scunthorpe dominate Plymouth last night, and the shouty Mr Adams soon gave up bellowing. Yes some home games have been poor but we are in the 3rd Division, if our players were more consistent then they would be playing higher up the leagues.
Next season will be tough if Bolton come down with the new debt free Sunderland, if like Wigan and Blackburn, they keep half their squad it could be only the play off spots to fight for.
We had some great results and some poor ones, and we finish where a good inconsistent team would expect to,just outside of the play offs.

Highlight of the season, our Checkatrade Cup hero Curtis Main moving North, starring in the Scottish Cup semi final, losing to Celtic in the final but still be playing in the Europa League next season

Just thought I’d check in. I saw something on my Facebook feed & it made me think of here. It has been a while.
I like the new iOS mobile-friendly website. Good job.
A good season. Will be tricky next year with the likes of Sunderland to compete against. I’d be happy to see our steady growth continue. The new owners are growing things nicely & Kenny is a really good manager. Next year might not be the one, but to be in the mix for the Play-offs again would do me. Will be renewing my season ticket for sure.
Anyway, hope everyone is well.

Next year some of the boys will become men. The talented ones like donohue, Rose , Lowe and Hawkins will gain from the experience and get better. Creative powerful midfielder and maybe another pitmanesque forward could be got as he is relied on too much.

Well i enjoyed the season and am glad we didn't get promoted, currently hate the thought of struggling in the Championship, (we would), extra policing, higher ticket costs and the bleedin International breaks stopping the flow of matches.
Kenny J has never been a shouter, shouting works until the players get fed up with it, I watched Scunthorpe dominate Plymouth last night, and the shouty Mr Adams soon gave up bellowing. Yes some home games have been poor but we are in the 3rd Division, if our players were more consistent then they would be playing higher up the leagues.
Next season will be tough if Bolton come down with the new debt free Sunderland, if like Wigan and Blackburn, they keep half their squad it could be only the play off spots to fight for.
We had some great results and some poor ones, and we finish where a good inconsistent team would expect to,just outside of the play offs.

Highlight of the season, our Checkatrade Cup hero Curtis Main moving North, starring in the Scottish Cup semi final, losing to Celtic in the final but still be playing in the Europa League next season

Agreed, wouldn't be at all ready for the Championship. I do think we could've made it, perhaps we had a chance, but yes, not too disappointed not to go up. Nice as it would have been.

I like the fact we're looking to build a squad, bringing young players through that have potential and will learn from this season. Well, I hope, and think, they will.

Do think, like you say, it'll be tougher next season, but with the right recruitment and being able to keep some we need, we'll do ok.

Didn't know that about Main, fair play to him.

Just thought I’d check in. I saw something on my Facebook feed & it made me think of here. It has been a while.
I like the new iOS mobile-friendly website. Good job.
A good season. Will be tricky next year with the likes of Sunderland to compete against. I’d be happy to see our steady growth continue. The new owners are growing things nicely & Kenny is a really good manager. Next year might not be the one, but to be in the mix for the Play-offs again would do me. Will be renewing my season ticket for sure.
Anyway, hope everyone is well.

Wow, a blast from the past. How the devil are you Tim?

Yep, recent change to the site, nice to come onto this thread after work (Vital isn't my day job anymore) and see several comments, long may it continue.

As said above, I'd agree, next season will be tougher with some decent clubs dropping into this level and some ok ones already in it. Again, as said, if we can keep some of our best talents and continue building those we already have here, we'll do ok.

I'll not be renewing my season ticket, but this isn't because I've been overly disappointed by the season, I still think it's been a successful enough one to be honest. I'll miss my footie, but I need to take a break for a bit. End of an era this coming Saturday, got an article planned to put out before the end of the week...

Things are pretty good, hope the same can be said of you?

Next year some of the boys will become men. The talented ones like donohue, Rose , Lowe and Hawkins will gain from the experience and get better. Creative powerful midfielder and maybe another pitmanesque forward could be got as he is relied on too much.

Hard to disagree with these thoughts, I've said as much in some posts above.

Following another below-par Pompey performance at Bury, Chris1954 shares his views on the season, which hasn’t impressed them and they’re not too optimistic about 2018-19.

Click here for more

Ouch! A pretty damning account.

I'll NOT slate it, as some perhaps would, as in fairness it's a personal opinion, which we're all entitled too.

However, much as I can appreciate the frustration felt, as it's been an up and down season at times, which hasn't always seen us anywhere near to what our best could, if not should be, personally I do think it's been a decent campaign. As such it does leave me somewhat - perhaps I'm naive?! - hopefully of what the future can bring with a young, but talented I feel, squad.

My main concerns are losing the likes of Clarke and Lowe, who will be catching the eyes of Championship clubs, Clarke probably Premier League ones to be honest.

Totally agree about those two. Lowe in particular as he will develop into a special player that creates goals. Goals win games. But, the statements from Eisner recently certainly make a belief that all will be covered for improvement and protection of what we have. He seems to be a superb owner with dialect and comment that encourage the notion that the only path is upwards. Needless to say that Jackett is also in that mould.