A small reality check of what we are up against | Page 2 | Vital Football

A small reality check of what we are up against

You've clearly never been to Bradford; it's a magnificent city with striking architecture that puts much of Medway to shame. It has a thriving culture the likes of which we have never seen - OK we're very close to London, which doesn't help.

I wasn't talking about Bradford. I've been there a few times and it's fine.

I've been to Bradford on numerous occasions, and as with a lot of places these days, it has some nice areas; the city centre with the newish water fountains display, some culture etc. But it also has its awful areas; run down housing estates, boarded up shops, a whole area which is reminiscent of being in New Delhi, gangs of yobbos hanging around etc...you get the picture.
That sounds like many, many British towns.

Last edited:
Bradford’s attendances have been around 15,000 this season and very stable throughout the season. Suggests a high number of season ticket holders and few others. I can’t say whether those attendances at those prices are profitable but it’s still good to see. They’ve been shit for years.

Of course, Bradford Park Avenue are the real football aristocracy and on the way back. Bantams beware!!!

Slightly off topic but areas outside the immediate centre of Bradford there aere some fabulous examples industrial architecture. If they existed in a Southern town they would have been preserved, re-imagined and many millions would have been spent. The fact that they have been allowed to fall into disuse, disrepair and vandalism both official and casual is not a judgement on the city.

A few miles distant Saltaire presents a quite different picture, one of prosperity and style. A few miles further and building of similar worth in Keighley are utterly neglected. It is not just football that would benefit from dumping the poisonous attitudes to people and places promoted by the bluster of those unsure of themselves.

Slightly off topic but areas outside the immediate centre of Bradford there aere some fabulous examples industrial architecture. If they existed in a Southern town they would have been preserved, re-imagined and many millions would have been spent. The fact that they have been allowed to fall into disuse, disrepair and vandalism both official and casual is not a judgement on the city.

A few miles distant Saltaire presents a quite different picture, one of prosperity and style. A few miles further and building of similar worth in Keighley are utterly neglected. It is not just football that would benefit from dumping the poisonous attitudes to people and places promoted by the bluster of those unsure of themselves.

I certainly hope you are not referring to the concrete horror which was the B&B building society on Bingley Main Street.

As to Saltaire -at the Tramshed Restaurant (aka Jimmy Jees for our younger readers), you can still see the notches cut in the tops of the doors for the trolleybus wires. The tramlines are fake though.