A Scientific Approach? | Vital Football

A Scientific Approach?

RussC

Vital Youth Team
So, what is the best way to assess how successful a manager has been? A study by Stefan Szymanski analysed the accounts of 80% of English football clubs between 1973 and 2010 to compare wages spent on players and the relative performance of managers. He had previously found that there was a 90% correlation between wages paid and league position and theorised that the other 10% could be accounted for by the manager.

The managers that came out best in the study makes interesting reading. The top 5 were Bob Paisley, Alex Ferguson, Bobby Robson, Arsene Wenger and David Moyes. From the lower leagues, Paul Sturrock, Ronnie Moore, John Beck and Martin Allen. There were other names from the lower leagues, that subsequently didn't manage league clubs.

Interestingly, most of the names had a rationale behind their success. Bob Paisley (inherited a great team), Alex Ferguson (benefited greatly from the class of 92), Arsene Wenger (used revolutionary training and dietary techniques in the most successful early years), Bobby Robson (utilised scouting abroad), Paul Sturrock and John Beck (used statistical analysis of the merits of long-ball football).

This suggests that managers can make a difference if they have a unique insight/advantage they can utilise. Equally, this advantage can disappear quickly, once others "catch up". So, while Szymanski's study might be a useful way of rating a manager's performance, it may not have great predictive powers moving forward. For example, John Beck's results subsequent to the study were 8 wins from 48 games at Histon. Paul Sturrock won just 6 from 30 at Yeovil (and 67 from 161 at Southend). Ronnie Moore won just 19/59 at Hartlepool.

One name on the list that has continued to produce excellent results is Martin Allen, who has rattled up 50 wins from 108 matches at Barnet.

My take from this study is that I would examine the records of outperformance, in relation to budget of any prospective manager, but would also look at the reason for that outperformance and assess whether it is replicable and likely to continue going forward.

At least stack the odds in our favour...as the wheel spins...

Arsene Wenger... interesting. Skewed from his early years? If it's wage related then Giroud 130k. Walcott 140k. The young lad Iwobi has just gone from less than 1,000 a week to 30k after scoring a couple of goals. It's all gone mad :pointy:

Impster....yes, Arsene's outperformance was skewed towards the early years. It's all relative though....Adam Johnson (indiscretions aside) was on 60K at Sunderland!!! "It's all gone mad" is spot on!

Bonkers isn't it. Walcott 36m over 5 years. Wouldn't pay him in washers. I think Wenkers main insight was the largely untapped French market. Those days are gone.

I think we saw something similar for the first six months of Schofield's reign. Those Tracker bars didn't half work for a while.

Even as a free-market advocate, I find it hard to reconcile average premiership players on £2-3m per year. But, I pay my Sky/BT Sport subs and enjoy the matches, so can't really complain.

That said, to quote Rodney Marsh, "I wouldn't watch (West Brom v Norwich) if they played at the bottom of my garden"

RussC - 7/4/2016 08:08

Impster....yes, Arsene's outperformance was skewed towards the early years. It's all relative though....Adam Johnson (indiscretions aside) was on 60K at Sunderland!!! "It's all gone mad" is spot on!

He needed all of that 60k. Haribo's are expensive.

MaineRoad_96 - 7/4/2016 09:45

RussC - 7/4/2016 08:08

He needed all of that 60k. Haribo's are expensive.[/QUOTE

Haha. I see he's on £11 a week now. ]

Really interesting analysis by Russ. The correlation of 90% with budget is not, of course, surprising. The study seems to be echoing Sincilbanks comments on the Moneyball theme, where "doing something different" is the key to success with smaller budgets.

I wonder if you could argue KA did that? Certainly his 5/2/3 formation was pretty unusual and he needed some quite specific types of players to make it work.

Good post. If we can get that new manager going with a few pounds of the investment maybe we can get somewhere between doing something different and having a few quid!