A Question of Morals? | Vital Football

A Question of Morals?

Wurzel

Vital Football Legend
OK moral dilemma of the day. Billy Joe Saunders has been suspended from boxing because of this video

I think it is clear it is not an instructional video on technique, but an attempt at humour, and as such is it any different from this brilliant sketch from Bill Burr?

So have we lost our sense of humour, or is the punishment fair?

When was the Burr crack made?

I'm at a disadvantage here, my headphones are broke so can't listen. The title 'no reason' - is that there is no reason to hit full stop....

Or is it 'no reason' not to hit....

I just noticed on the page 'Bill Burr examines the fallacy of that statement'.

I think with Saunders, it's timing as plenty of headlines have been taken up on a potential rise in abuse/assaults etc etc etc.

When was the Burr crack made?

I'm at a disadvantage here, my headphones are broke so can't listen. The title 'no reason' - is that there is no reason to hit full stop....

Or is it 'no reason' not to hit....

I just noticed on the page 'Bill Burr examines the fallacy of that statement'.

I think with Saunders, it's timing as plenty of headlines have been taken up on a potential rise in abuse/assaults etc etc etc.

It's from a few years back, I've watched it loads of times.

The premise of it is that there is plenty of reasons to hit a woman, you just don't do it. To suggest there is "no reason" is ridiculous.

I personally think it’s just a very bad joke, with the timing of it being highly topical given the supposed increase in domestic violence, but the timing of the situation drove the (very bad) joke.

I would urge people to read his statement before making judgement on the video solely. He sounds far more intellectual and sorry than our captain did, even if someone else wrote it at least he had the intelligence to ask. In terms of his overall character, he has auctioned his gloves and jackets off in the past for children’s charities like Great Ormond street, as I said in another thread he’s got a human side to him - he put a nice message to the NHS out the other day with a picture of him with some nurses.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bjsaunders_?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Also, if he had said partner instead of “wife” and made it gender neutral, I think he would’ve got away with it except for a PR twat from the Hearn office advising him to take it down.

Last edited:
Good question!

Read about this earlier but first time I've watched it. Would like to think I'm relatively open to different humour and like to take the piss myself, but that just looks nasty and bang out of order to me, as danvilla2 says, with the amount of talk about domestic violence. He might well be joking, but did he stop to think how many of his fans (or indeed strangers) who might be watching who won't see it as a joke? Not as if he laughs, says only joking lads, or anything.

Not with that as 'humour' at all... too many women (and some men) suffering from this sort of thing.

It's from a few years back, I've watched it loads of times.

The premise of it is that there is plenty of reasons to hit a woman, you just don't do it. To suggest there is "no reason" is ridiculous.

Cheers dude...so sort of falls in line with what I thought about timing and the potential angle taken by Burr (to avoid being lynched lol).

Burr's right! lol It's also why we worry about the lasses poisoning us! They have just cause as well!

I personally think it’s just a very bad joke, with the timing of it being highly topical given he supposed increase in domestic violence, but the timing of the situation drove the (very bad) joke.

I would urge people to read his statement before making judgement on the video solely. He sounds far more intellectual and sorry than our captain did, even if someone else wrote it at least he had the intelligence to ask. In terms of his overall character, he has auctioned his gloves and jackets off in the past for children’s charities like Great Ormond street, as I said in another thread he’s got a human side to him - he put a nice message to the NHS out the other day with a picture of him with some nurses.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bjsaunders_?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Also, if he had said partner instead of “wife” and made it gender neutral, I think he would’ve got away with it except for a PR twat from the Hearn office advising him to take it down.

I get your point Dan, but I also saw the clip of his kid being a prick. That denotes upbringing and attitude to me as someone who doesn't really know him - take both together and in isolation and it's not pretty and I guess that's what most have picked up on.

The latter point about partner is good though - but that still has its problems in terms of bullying and abuse - but yes, the fallout might not have been the same - or as big.

Good question!

Read about this earlier but first time I've watched it. Would like to think I'm relatively open to different humour and like to take the piss myself, but that just looks nasty and bang out of order to me, as danvilla2 says, with the amount of talk about domestic violence. He might well be joking, but did he stop to think how many of his fans (or indeed strangers) who might be watching who won't see it as a joke? Not as if he laughs, says only joking lads, or anything.

Not with that as 'humour' at all... too many women (and some men) suffering from this sort of thing.

For me J it is obviously a joke. Not a very funny one, but the intent isn't to encourage people to hit their partners. I believe we are capable of understanding a joke and I agree with Ricky Gervais when he says anything is fair game. We are intelligent enough to understand jokes and a world where they are outlawed is going to be a very dull place.

As for those offended by a joke I am very much in the Stephen Hughes camp...

It is symptomatic of the world that we live in that BJS is suspended so the governing body can appear to be woke and doing the right thing without taking into account the context and previous character of the man.

You also have Andrew Lawrence Wurz to lean on....totally out of the picture now because as best as I can tell, he made the mistake of doing a character piece without character name to cover him.

But given the kid video - he's still seems a twat.

It's very much about staying in your lane. Comedians do it for a living, they have a 'licence' to say certain things.

For a professional boxer to make that video, it's pretty poor form. We're also in a climate where it's easier to offend people and they will pursue you until action is taken. We're also likely to see an uptick in domestic violence due to self isolation so again, poor form.

I despise Billy Joe as boxer and person but I personally wouldn't have banned him for it, but again, he belongs to a profession, professions have standards for behaviour and the BBBoC reserve the right to punish their licensees as they see fit.

For me J it is obviously a joke. Not a very funny one, but the intent isn't to encourage people to hit their partners. I believe we are capable of understanding a joke and I agree with Ricky Gervais when he says anything is fair game. We are intelligent enough to understand jokes and a world where they are outlawed is going to be a very dull place.

As for those offended by a joke I am very much in the Stephen Hughes camp...

It is symptomatic of the world that we live in that BJS is suspended so the governing body can appear to be woke and doing the right thing without taking into account the context and previous character of the man.

For me the major difference is he isn't a comedian, he's a boxer, he's a fighter, I can't see any smile, any irony or any joke in his video. You know when you start something off as serious and slowly but surely get sillier to make it clear you are spoofing? He doesn't do that.

The others you mention, like Ricky, they are comedians, Billy Connolly used to be the same, pushing the boundaries, but at the end of the day, they are comedians, you either like their humour or not, but it is clear what they do for a living.

You have to remember, there are a lot of hard of learning, and a lot of abusive husbands (and some wives) who will be thick as anything, very violent and won't be stopping to think if that boxer is having a joke or not, because they do that to their partners. And many partners already receive those sorts of batterings.

So nah, not for me, can't see any humour in that I'm afraid.

It's very much about staying in your lane. Comedians do it for a living, they have a 'licence' to say certain things.

For a professional boxer to make that video, it's pretty poor form. We're also in a climate where it's easier to offend people and they will pursue you until action is taken. We're also likely to see an uptick in domestic violence due to self isolation so again, poor form.

I despise Billy Joe as boxer and person but I personally wouldn't have banned him for it, but again, he belongs to a profession, professions have standards for behaviour and the BBBoC reserve the right to punish their licensees as they see fit.

How come you don’t like him so much? I don’t know a lot about him, so I’m genuinely interested.

The travelling community are a nightmare sometimes (I personally hate the fuckers), having a few star idols like Fury seems to help calm them down a bit I find. He’s a bit of a prat with his vehicles and traveller ways, but there’s also a half decent side to him I think at times.

As I say though I don’t know his life story

How come you don’t like him so much? I don’t know a lot about him, so I’m genuinely interested.

The travelling community are a nightmare sometimes (I personally hate the fuckers), having a few star idols like Fury seems to help calm them down a bit I find. He’s a bit of a prat with his vehicles and traveller ways, but there’s also a half decent side to him I think at times.

As I say though I don’t know his life story
Just think he's a dickhead to be honest and incredibly overrated, very arrogant about his ability and career, especially for someone who has only won the Warren Boxing Order title and his best wins are Andy Lee, Eubank and Lemieux who are all C level.