A question for Rosie about religion | Vital Football

A question for Rosie about religion

• Thread starter Villan Of The North
  • Start date
V

Villan Of The North

I was going to ask this in the other thread but thought that it takes things too far from the original topic. It's not so much a discussion point, I'm just genuinely interested to know your viewpoint. I could have PMed you but it would be interesting to get comments from others too.

We all know your views on Christianity and Islam and I pressume the same applies to Judaism, where do you stand on the other big 3, Buhdism, Sihkism and Hinduism?

I wonder particularly about Buhdism as it seems that you most vehement criticisms of the Jewish/Christian/Muslim religions is the harm commited in the name of said religions and the instructions to commit more harm pluss the controlling element of the religions, not allowing people to think for themselves.

It strikes me that Buhdism in particular does not seem to "fall into the same traps"

I am genuinely interested to know your take on this.

But then Buddhism was never meant to be a religion, it was meant to be a philosophy.

The Fear - 29/5/2013 12:41

But then Buddhism was never meant to be a religion, it was meant to be a philosophy.

Is there realy a difference? And thanks for the correct spelling - not one of my strong points :17:

Edit: Besides, even if there is a difference, what it was intended does not change that fact that it really is a religion now.

I think many people thesedays have a foundation built on a particular religion, but very few follow it to the letter.

Perhaps the best thing, and the main aim of our multi-cultural society is to have cross overs with faith. I get the impression that Rosie doesnt agree with this and believes that it's a case of all or nothing. Whereas I have no problem and would advocate people who take the best snippets from a selection of religions, sects, belief systems, philosophys and ways of life, in order to make the best of the short time we have here.

I certainly would not kill or harm another living specimen without reason, and I love nature... but I also love a bacon sarnie!

In Boreno or whatever it's called these days those peaceful Buddists monks killed a few dozen Muslims a bit back

The Fear - 29/5/2013 11:41

Yup, not a religion.

It also doesn't tell the reader what to or how to think or act, its about finding your own path, watching your inner self and treating others as you would your own.

This is in contradiction with the 3 abrahamic religions, which tell you how to think, tell you that they know the answer and to treat those who do not follow the same way as you with disdain and fight.

On the whole I would have no issue with 'religion' in its original form, which was pre egyptian texts used to explain why the sun rose and why we should be thankful for life and water etc.

what I take exception to is the way these simple texts have been modified by slave owners over the years to be used as tools to oppress and keep control of the population by threatening peole with an all knowing, all monitoring 'god' who will judge you for you actions.

I also take exception to the teachings of this as TRUTH in schools.

Have your silly fairy stories and have your imaginary friends, but until you have some proof for ANYTHING you are saying, keep it out of the education system, you're ruining the planet.

Sikhs and Hindus have been murdering each other for years as well.

I bracket them all together in the low grade mental illness section of the library.

RosettaStoned - 29/5/2013 12:31

They have accepted me but have asked that I sand off my Chris Hitchens tattoo.

You can have the "I love Fear" tattoo sanded off your arse at the same time.

Villan Of The North - 29/5/2013 11:24

I wonder particularly about Buhdism as it seems that you most vehement criticisms of the Jewish/Christian/Muslim religions is the harm commited in the name of said religions and the instructions to commit more harm pluss the controlling element of the religions, not allowing people to think for themselves.

It strikes me that Buhdism in particular does not seem to "fall into the same traps"

I am genuinely interested to know your take on this.

self immolations by buddhist monks and nuns - same category as the others imo

I wish I could fold Rosie up into a little pocket sized elf and carry him around with me just in case I ever get into a discussion about religion.

I think I have exactly the same views on religion as him, but am just not educated enough on the subject to articulate them properly.

Would love to open a can of Rosie Whoop Ass on some people.

We used to need Religion, because we didn't understand how the Universe works.

Now we do, it's not necessary, and yet more violence seems to be caused by it than any other factor.

If you could all get together and come up with a uniform, coherent argument, then maybe it would fit into the modern World. However, the fact you can't all agree, then it's wrong. Simples. If one is wrong, they are all wrong.

I also take exception to the teachings of this as TRUTH in schools.
---------

Well can all the Atheists then please stop trying to get their kids enrolled into the "better" performing local Catholic schools? thus where religion plays a huge role in the education.

Secondly I take offence for kids being taught that evolutionary processes can account for the origin of all living species. Yet this has never been and never will be established as a fact. Nor is it “scientific” in any true sense of the word. Lets stick with TRUTH and deal with what can be observed and reproduced by experimentation. The origin of life can be neither observed, or reproduced in any laboratory.

Belief in evolutionary theory is just another matter of sheer faith.

Romans 1:
22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools

23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Eric Fromme

"The religion of social Darwinism belongs to the most dangerous elements within the thoughts of the last century. It aides the propagation of ruthless national and racial egoism by establishing it as a moral norm. If Hitler believed in anything at all, then it was in the laws of evolution which justified and sanctified his actions and especially his cruelties."

How does that work? Evolution is the survival of...what?...the fittest. Hitler was just playing out the evolutionary role. He was the fittest and so he massacred everybody else under the evolutionary thesis that he was perpetuating the strongest and he was aiding in the development of the super race. That was all born out of evolutionary theory. And Mein Kampf, My Struggle, was basically Hitler's evolutionary theory working its way out politically and was the justification for the destruction of the masses who threatened the continued evolution of the super race. In Mein Kamph Hitler wrote, "He who would live must fight. He who does not wish to fight in this world where permanent struggle is the law of life has not the right to exist. I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature. Nature likes bastards only a little," And finally he said, "All that is not of pure race in this world is trash." And so he destroyed the Jews, he destroyed the blacks, he destroyed the Gypsies and he was aiding natural selection and fulfilling the evolutionary biological dream.