A Positive Move. | Page 2 | Vital Football

A Positive Move.

Shola was a symptom of the malaise that affects the club to this day . He was a promising youngster who never developed beyond that promise . Think the likes of Macheda who was at Manchester United, he never developed so was loaned out repeatedly then let go. The high watermark of Ameobi's career was the Champion's League campaign of 02/03. That was as good as he got. Everything after that was a decline. Some of that wasn't Bambi's fault. Under Roeder he first became dogged by a hip injury , successive managers in Allardyce and Keegan tried to shift him on but his ability to pass a medical was up there with his ability to pass a football and he stayed to find his level somewhat in The Championship.

He stayed because we couldn't sell him, he was cut a lot of slack because he's a nice lad and a local that came through the development system. It also helped that the club was a mess and the squad was by and large shite for the majority of his Newcastle career. A striker who never scored double figures in the Premier League in any season of his career means he's certainly not worthy of much of a mention let alone a hall of fame award .

The worst thing about it all is that the singing about him was only started off as a joke. The changed words to the hokey kokey song is the biggest clue to those who didn't know of the real thoughts of his final ability level.

It's this joking that has seen him reach cult status with some as if they believe some sort of legend was here.

As I said, his younger years saw him reach a level which was unsung but instead of stagnating, the injury and training issues turned him into a one moment a season man.

I used to look at the teamsheet in disbelief:

Playing: Ameobi
Sub: Kluivert

Pooness. Destroyed Liverpool, in a single season by shifting out good quality players, and bringing in players like Dicks - blatant thugs, ala himself in his heyday.

If he'd have stopped there, fine - but the **** had to come to Newcastle; Play Ameobi instead of Kluivert, and bring that **** Owen to the club as well.

Cheers for the comment Toony.

Good to see the Shola debate continuing. He must be one of our most talked about players over the years. For me, it is part of the essence of football that people like Shola and Graham Taylor give more ordinary folk the chance to dream.

On a different debate, which was the better goal, Supermac or Shearer. Supermac's can be seen here after 1.40:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyckt3H6I6Y
(You may not want to watch the 1st goal but a couple of pieces of magic from the underrated Tommy Cassidy)

Shearer's is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNObY2nqTY

For me, Supermac has the edge, starting with his back to goal and on his wrong foot.

Rexn - 10/11/2017 14:37

Cheers for the comment Toony.

Good to see the Shola debate continuing. He must be one of our most talked about players over the years. For me, it is part of the essence of football that people like Shola and Graham Taylor give more ordinary folk the chance to dream.

On a different debate, which was the better goal, Supermac or Shearer. Supermac's can be seen here after 1.40:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyckt3H6I6Y
(You may not want to watch the 1st goal but a couple of pieces of magic from the underrated Tommy Cassidy)

Shearer's is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNObY2nqTY

For me, Supermac has the edge, starting with his back to goal and on his wrong foot.

Supermac's . Shearer had more time and as you mentioned it's on his right .

Shearer's is better by an absolute mile for me. I agree, Supermac's was hard enough and worthy of any compilation video but recreating either of these goals by Joe Public on the local pitches would see Shearer's be replicated less.

I reckon most of us have scored a goal like Supermac's, whether that be in the school yard or at the garages but you'll be hard pressed for anyone to have hit a shot like Shearer's and that's before you talk about it actually going in.

It's easier to judge the goals with no sound on because if the Barry Davies commentary was switched round then I reckon Shearer's would be even better.

Whilst we're on it, Shearer's at home to Chelsea was a bit McDonald-esque.....

[youtube=kbGR0zL_ios]