A plan for Jan! | Page 2 | Vital Football

A plan for Jan!

I'd have Rhead back for Akinde. At least on a short term deal. Don't want to go back to 'hoof', but at this stage, I'd rather have points than pretty football.

I'd have Rhead back for Akinde. At least on a short term deal. Don't want to go back to 'hoof', but at this stage, I'd rather have points than pretty football.
I've never liked pretty football. I like fast, energetic, committed, breakaway and clinical. This can be long if required, just do it quickly. The kind of stuff that gets you on your feet. Not tic tac toe, appreciable appluase kinda stuff. Which is what I watched last night. Turns into too many hard luck stories. Around me last night cannot count how many times I heard "aagh, nearly, unlucky". That is shit.

And don't get me started on playing it out short from goal kicks. Lower league football coaches with too much time on their hands.

When it's done right and pinged from centre half to central midfield and then creating space for the pass to the full back pushed up on the half way line it's so simple and effective. When it doesn't go to plan we go from a goal kick to all out panic in five seconds.

I'm yet to see that hoofing it over the half way line and having it headed straight back towards our defenders is a significantly better tactic with the number of ball-winners we don't have at our disposal up the pitch at the moment.

When it's done right and pinged from centre half to central midfield and then creating space for the pass to the full back pushed up on the half way line it's so simple and effective. When it doesn't go to plan we go from a goal kick to all out panic in five seconds.

I'm yet to see that hoofing it over the half way line and having it headed straight back towards our defenders is a significantly better tactic with the number of ball-winners we don't have at our disposal up the pitch at the moment.
Problem is the number of ball winners we don't have is an even bigger problem when we give it away nearer our own goal than theirs!

Goal kicks. Quite simple. Been done forever. If the keeper is quick and full back on (out wide and not near goal) play it. He can then take ball up field, find a midfielder or play into channel. If this is not on long goal kick towards your strongest player in the air to flick or bring down. Picking up the second ball is key. Do not f*#k about with it in your own box.

I am concerned with all of this "wait till January" talk. We have 5 games in December and one game on 1st January, so six games, realistically until new players could arrive. The Sunderland game is on 4th January, so still not a lot of time. These players are then surely going to need time to "settle in". We cannot afford to throw away seven games. I agree that the Tranmere home game looks massive.

I don't care what Mr Appleton does, but he needs to find a way in which we get some points with the players at his disposal until January. I would even take six points from the six games at the moment.

In relation to players, we clearly need a new striker but don't all teams?
Will Tyler Walker return to Forest?
Will a team in the lower reaches of League 1 look attractive?
How much money will the Lincoln City board trust Michael Appleton with?
Are the board calm and confident or anxious and worried, behind the scenes?

A vital 6 weeks, in my opinion, until the transfer window opens. I am hoping that we see some of the Oxford statistics soon.

MA has the following managerial records to date.

Lincoln - 2 wins in 11 games - 18% win
Portsmouth - 13 wins in 51 games - 25% win
Blackpool - 2 wins in 12 games - 17% win
Blackburn - 4 wins in 15 games - 27% win
Oxford - 78 wins in 173 games - 45% win

I don't care what Mr Appleton does, but he needs to find a way in which we get some points with the players at his disposal until January. I would even take six points from the six games at the moment.

MA is doing most of the right things with the players we have. It’s quite possible we will get six points from the next 6 matches, maybe more.

But the reality is the team is organised and trying hard. We had the better chances last night but did not take them... but we will.... some of the time...

What is it MA is not doing that another manager would do? Other than the facile answer win, I’m not sure you could tell me.

A long way to go before Jan ... Yes... but a very long time before May.

(Bet MA win % was n’t 45 % at Oxford after a handful of games... good things come to those with a bit a patience).

I am concerned with all of this "wait till January" talk. We have 5 games in December and one game on 1st January, so six games, realistically until new players could arrive. The Sunderland game is on 4th January, so still not a lot of time. These players are then surely going to need time to "settle in". We cannot afford to throw away seven games. I agree that the Tranmere home game looks massive.

In relation to players, we clearly need a new striker but don't all teams?
Will Tyler Walker return to Forest?
Will a team in the lower reaches of League 1 look attractive?
How much money will the Lincoln City board trust Michael Appleton with?
Are the board calm and confident or anxious and worried, behind the scenes?

A vital 6 weeks, in my opinion, until the transfer window opens. I am hoping that we see some of the Oxford statistics soon.

MA has the following managerial records to date.

Lincoln - 2 wins in 11 games - 18% win
Portsmouth - 13 wins in 51 games - 25% win
Blackpool - 2 wins in 12 games - 17% win
Blackburn - 4 wins in 15 games - 27% win

Are you seriously using his record at basket cases like Pompey, Blackpool and Blackburn as a stick to beat him with?

MA is doing most of the right things with the players we have. It’s quite possible we will get six points from the next 6 matches, maybe more.

But the reality is the team is organised and trying hard. We had the better chances last night but did not take them... but we will.... some of the time...

What is it MA is not doing that another manager would do? Other than the facile answer win, I’m not sure you could tell me.

A long way to go before Jan ... Yes... but a very long time before May.

(Bet MA win % was n’t 45 % at Oxford after a handful of games... good things come to those with a bit a patience).
After 11 games at Oxford (took over in the summer so had a full pre-season) it was P11 W2 D4 L5 GF10 GA13.

Failed to score in 5.

Not too dissimilar from here at the minute.

His style during the match is very different from the Cowley's

does make you wonder if the Cowley's ability to ignite the crowd and players during the match was a critical difference?

I hope he can stop the rot soon as i fear it could be a downward spiral we can never recover from.

At the moment we are reliant on the relative weakness of Southend, Rochdale, MK, et al.

If they pick up we are in trouble

Problem is the number of ball winners we don't have is an even bigger problem when we give it away nearer our own goal than theirs!

Lessons in how to make a decent tackle on the agenda for next week in training.
Bossie leading the process and fine tuning the detail.(whilst still on crutches)

His style during the match is very different from the Cowley's

It does make a nice change to have a manager who is not constantly arguing over every decision and haranguing the fourth official at every opportunity. Then again, maybe having a 'passionate' leader on the sidelines helped fire the players up.

Thoroughly depressing (although sadly not surprising) reading comments here and elsewhere. We’ve lost a few games by the odd goal which happens, especially to lower league clubs. The sweeping judgements made on players who’ve previously proved their worth to us is embarrassing.

If you can’t stomach not seeing your team win every week then you should really consider whether this is the right hobby for you - a BT Sports subscription will give you access to all the PSG or Barcelona games you like.

Abject pessimism returns. All it took was two months of poor results.

Let's party like it's 2013.

you are like the captain of the Titanic, dont worry we are all ok band please keep playing.

The slower you react (change tactics, change players, change manager etc) the more it will hurt!

It does make a nice change to have a manager who is not constantly arguing over every decision and haranguing the fourth official at every opportunity. Then again, maybe having a 'passionate' leader on the sidelines helped fire the players up.

Yes the Cowley's really were the teachers on the sideline coaching and encouraging their pupils